In sump UV Sterilizer

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DevinH, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I have a 30 gallon SUMP with Refugium. 75 gallon DT. What kind of UV sterilizer could I put in the sump? I have plenty of room in the refugium, and where the return pump/carbon is.

Are there ones that sit outside of the sump and have lines feed into and out of it back into the sump?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I wouldn't put a UV in my sump! I want that to grow out the pods for my tank.

But I think you could easily mod a lot of UV sterilizers to do that with a cheap quick trip to Lowes, the key is to keep the flow rate right for the UV sterilizer to work right!

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I didnt think about that! Ahh.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

The Coralife TurboTwist works the way you would like, at least that how i have it set up. I put a ball valve on the output to control flow and an old MJ400 to power it. It is AMAZING i beleive it saved at least my Black tang from dying to ick.

I have not had a noticeable drop in pods. During the day I can find many out and about, and that's with a meluranus and blue side wrasse, a fliefish, dottyback, damsel, and clown. Who eat them when they find them.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I don't know how it could have saved your fish from dying as UV sterilizers only kill that which is free floating (the Ich parasite lives on the fish) in the water column and only if the water is running slow enough through the sterilizer will anything be killed. Both good and bad! If using a UV sterilizer don't forget to supplement feed :) Most pods live within our substrate and live rock, therefore it's unlikely that a UV sterilizer will deplete the population.

Personally IMO I believe the UV sterilizers sold for aquarium use, is a total waste of our moneys. That any tank over a year old really really doesn't need. one

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  7. ingtar_shinowa

I hear you Nana, I always read the exact same thing. I had this equipment sitting around for 2 years and never used it, even tried to sell it. The day I hooked it up my Black Tang had the worst ick I have ever seen, even in pictures. There were spot on two or three other fish too. 4 days later nothing. Compound that with almost every ToTM on most forums are using a UV Sterilizer and I say its a win.

My Return pump is 750 GPH the uv is running at 200-300 gph which means at the most its killing 40% of the pods from my fuge? I find that very acceptable.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

4 days later the cysts dropped off the ICH parasite so it was total coincidence ;)

10. ingtar_shinowa

... as a hole in the head.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

or the definition of the ich life cycle!

I have a uv or sale, just research it, seems superfluous at best, is it a bad idea, NO, is it necessary NO, just take care of your tank and you ll be fine!

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A consideration IMO is that a UV may improve the quality of the water to a certain degree and there by reduce stress which we all know is a major contributor to Marine Ich.

We used them at the Pacific Marine Mammal institute on the seal ponds to assist in prevention of the spread of parasites, public aquariums use them.

While I was doubtful regarding the true benefit of a UV as a tool in the battle against Marine Ich, I have seen enough experienced hobbyist communicate that they thought a UV was an effective tool to change my way of thinking on the matter.

Understanding the many life stages of Marine Ich is essential in providing effective treatment.

@ the op, I fail at plumbing but I do know the largest one you can fit and don't do cheap.