In Sump Skimmer or External Skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by tingleyl, Jul 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tingleyl

tingleyl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What are the Pros/Cons of each?

Any reason you'd not want to do an in-sump skimmer option?

2. Click Here!

3. z.vernon

z.vernon Bristle Worm

the only thing i can think of is that an external skimmer wouldnt put any extra heat into the system because the pump wouldnt be in the water... no expert though

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

in sump is usually the safer bet in case it leaks any or if the cup over flows. external is nice as it frees up room in your sump for a fuge, or other equipment. personally I like the in-sumps as long as there fed by an overflow or return line.

~Will.

5. tingleyl

Thanks for the insight! Back to looking for in sump skimmers!

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

In sump skimmers are generally more efficient, as they can also skim all of the surface gunk that gets mixed up from the overflow where a HOB skimmer only gets what's in the water in the tank.

7. tingleyl

So any recommendations on good in sump skimmers?

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I still have my sealife in-sump skimmer, im using from 1998. its still works good. only problem is my little 4 suction cups that hold my motor pump assembly to ther skimmer unit have rotten away like 5 years ago :) A little wire wrapped around it, holds it in place..

10. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Depends a bit on the size tank that you have. I just ordered a Vertex Alpha Cone 300 by the folks who make Bubble King (another great option for both in sump and external skimmers). They have fantastic construction but aren't an economy choice.

Some other thoughts on internal vs external: external skimmers generally require an additional pump to supply the water which equals some additional purchase cost and additional energy consumption. In sump skimmers can be sensitive to fluctuating water levels in your sump so it's important to ensure a stable water level. I was lazy about topping off evaporation loss on my old tank and the sump level could fluctuate by several inches. This kind of thing can real wreak havoc with some (most?) in-sump skimmers. Also, when a power failure causes the level in your sump to rise, it may well cause your skimmer to overflow lots of nasty gunk into your sump.

11. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

look into the atb skimmers

12. tingleyl

Funny you mention that, I was just looking at those tonight. I've decided to go with in-sump. But whatever I go with needs to be no more than 24" high to fit under my stand.

I'm going to have a 300 gallon tank and I'm looking about a 60 gallon fuge/sump combo.

So a couple more questions:
    1. I'm assuming when I'm looking at skimmers, I really want to be looking at something rated for a 360-400 gallon, rather than just my tank size of 300, right?

2. Can anyone explain to me the differences in skimmers? What does the Vertex do so much better than say a $300-500 skimmer? (I know you get what you pay for, but I have no experience to draw from.) Reading online reviews and vendor info doesn't really tell someone who has no experience what makes it better. Nor does it help me understand/appreciate the differences.

Thanks