In sump or out of sump skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by APC, Jun 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hey All,

I need a new protein skimmer. I have the option of putting one in sump, or out of sump. Any thoughts on which is the better way to go? Also, any suggestions on the best brand...needs to handle about 160 gallons, and looking to keep it under $400 if possible.

2. Click Here!

3. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

I have a PM Bullet 2 out of sump skimmer, it's rated up to 240 gallons and works amazing on my tank, but I think it's 400-500 new (without pump).

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I really like Reef Octo NWB series - for the money hard to beat - you would be under $300 for that skimmer! And it's rated for up to 250 gallons - that would be plenty big for your system.

For me - I will never go with an external skimmer. Here's why - it would take SOOOO much extra equipment to maintain peace of mind that its just not worth it IMHO.

With an external skimmer, if you have some condition like say epoxy added to the system or certain medications, etc which send your skimmer haywaire (i.e. cause extremely high bubble production and high surface tension) your collection cup can fill and begin to overflow. If this were to continue even a system with a large reservoir of fresh water will eventually be depleted - not to mention swinging your SG and your temp. Next comes the issue that the overflowing skimmate collection cup is now goign to dump on your floor and could EASILY cause your main return pump to run dry - that is unless you have multiple, redundant level sensors, water sensors and temp/salinty probes to be able to automate your defense. Otherwise you are just hoping that it works well.

At least with an internal skimmer you can easily adjust the water depth and the worst case scenario is a one-time injection of really dirty dirty sludge which your skimmer would then help to reclaim again - at least it would not cause your tank to run dry. If I had to choose dumping a skimmate cup in the tank or running it dry all day while I am at work - I'll take my chances with the in-sump.

Also - you have to do a bit more plumbing work which increases the chances for pipeline leaks as well for external pumps - not to mention that you have to somehow give a pressurized feed to the external skimmer as well wheras insump does not need this extra equipment.

Hope this helps . . .

1 person likes this.
  5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Cool. Good advice on the in sump. Appreciate it

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I agree with M-Ocean man. External is nice, but they overflow occasionally. I have stains on my basement ceiling to prove it LOL.

7. BigReefin

BigReefin Astrea Snail

if you got the space then i would go in sump also---i have had both, sometimes you just gotta run external because of either sump or height space under the stand, but internal is just so much easier and sometimes safer...look into the bashsea blu demon (killer skimmer and made in the usa) or a reef octopus extreme...good luck!!