Images of Hydnophora killing a Kenya soft coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Corailline, Mar 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thanks,

Yes I knew better, but they are soooo pretty. Not practical though.

And aiptasia, if you do not mind moving them around, which is what I did with this piece, but now it has gotten too large and the sps have grown so back it goes.
    :)

2. Click Here!

3. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

Great pictures. Perfect timing..

1 person likes this.
  4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

These are some very cool pics. To bad you're losing coral to this guy but still. It reminds me of some type of movie sci-fi monster. Great pics!

1 person likes this.
  5. Corailline

Thanks guys. :)

Right place, right time. I always look at the tank with a flash light on my way to bed, just for these kinds of shenanigens.

6. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Wow. Cool pic, but sorry to hear! I have WAY too much Kenya so i wish i had one of those! LOL :p

1 person likes this.
  7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Sorry about your Kenya. Great pictures though. I have a Hydnophora and put it well away from any other coral and in an area of moderate flow and it has been an ideal coral to have and it is one of my favorites. I feed it twice a week with bits of cut up shrimp or scallops. I got it as a small frag and now it is close to 6" across. They really are beautiful coral if you can find a good spot for them. Mine I have had for going on a year and a half, I feel they get a bad rap sometimes. I was going to frag it but nobody wanted a frag so I left it alone. I couldnt even give away frags. Maybe I will try and get a good picture of it tomorrow and post it. A beautiful nuclear green color.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Thanks aquariaman, they were small frags and I learned my lesson before I did any real damage.

Would love to see an image of your Hydnophora. I once had a large branching one and loved it. Beautiful corals, they look more like sps than lps to me. Trouble is in a small tank, with sps, the sps will loose every time. Wish I could keep it, but I should be able to get a nice trade for it. Oh and I feed mine Rods foods.
    :)

10. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Here is a pic of my Hydnophora, just took it about 10 min ago.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Corailline

That is a beautiful piece ibefishy. Love the color.

Seem to be on a role with the aggression. This is my RP attempting to do harm to my Pocillopora. Killed the tips in 2 spots, one day they are an inch away from each other and the next day not so much, my mistake.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Oops, hard to know which coral will be the aggressor until too late. Great shot BTW Cheryl.

1 person likes this.