I'm this close to calling it quits.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by techno2, Jun 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I dont think you have too many fish personally!
    Sometimes you just cant help with stuff like this - once its introduced into your system you just have to ride it out. probably the best thing for the system would be to let it run with out any fish for a while.
    With out a host a disease can not survive.
    If i was you just offer the fish really good conditions.
    If they die the die, you did your best.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Well, I think about 4 months. I actually removed the on from the Via Aqua Deluxe and added it where the BioBale goes in the CPR Dual BakPak.

Wow, six months. That was much sooner than I had guessed. I must have jinxed myself, because for awhile after adding it all seemed to go pretty well.

Thanks

4. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

It probably isn't the bulb if that was bought new, also the bulbs do drop in efficiency but 6 months is fast for one bulb, check the owners manual and it should mention somewhere in there what to expect for bulb life and effectiveness.

Also while you look that up make sure that you have a pump with the proper flow rate. This is one piece when bigger is definitely not better. The bacteria has to be exposed for a certain amount of time to be killed by the UV.

You also asked about marine fish being more fragile then freshwater, that is not a maybe it is a fact-they are unfourtantely.

Something is stressing them out that is why their immune system is not handling this on its own. Your tank may or not be overstocked hard to day without reading the filtration on it but I don't think you are. Do the fish have places to hide? It may be as simple as that, it only takes one bully.

5. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Another thought is that you do not want mechanical filtration on the UV line at all.

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Not sure if this helps or not, but here is the viseo. You can see the area but not sure how good. Basically looks like flaky scales.

Video of Coral Beauty - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I would have guessed a bite mark from the Sally Lightfoot, but the Damsel and Chromis had the same thing. They actually look better already.

7. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Hard to tell.

First it does look like what I am talking about except for two things.

1. It is not usually that noticable. My experience has been that I overlooked it for a while and thought it was just a glimmer in the scales. That looks prett pronounced.

2. When I have had them they were always directly behind the gills, then spread out from there.

If I was in your shoes first I would wait and watch. If it doesn't improve then I would catch one of those damsels that appears to have it and try a freshwater dip with it. You should be able to figure out from that if it is some parasite or not, the parasites can't handle the change in the specific gravity and should burst or fall off. Keep a close eye on him though and get him out if it looks bad.

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Thanks, yes plenty of hiding. That is why I would never be able to catch one. Each one has an identifyed cave to run to and always do when I go near.

Currently AM, N2, and N3 are almost 0, I kno I know, but it is better than it has been. I am at .1 on Am and Nitrite and 5 on the Nitrate.

I am running a Aquaclear 110 with Chem pad, and Zeolite / carbon mix, Dual CPR BakPak with integrated UV, also a seperate filter for running Phos remover and Nitrate sponge.

10. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Put the rocks in a bucket then they have no place to hide.

Not familiar with these but that doesn't mean much. I can't find the CPR with the UV though. Is it one of those bulbs that you just drop in? Not sure how you'd integrate one into that but the skimmer means that the water will be going through there extrememly fast and that maybe rendering the UV useless. That's just speculation though.

11. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

cleaner shrimp will also pick ick off of a sick fish

12. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

It sucks. I have had bad luck with almost every fish I have ever added. I can;t seem to keep them alive but yet my corals thrive. Tryed feeding with Methadozole, works wonders. it is a seachem product and reef safe. Good luck