Im THE coral killer....

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by dca241, Mar 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello, one thing that keeps nagging at me is the use of the Microbe lift. I went to their site and unless I'm missing something all their products relate to ponds. This may or may not be anything to be concerned about but could you tell me the exact product you are using? There is no such thing as over filtering to respond to your question concerning that. The skimmer is fine, it should only accumulate 1/4-1/2 a cup from a dry foam set up and it shows the tank is healthy with no over producing of skim. I would stop using (stop doing) what you are doing now i.e. the Microbe lift and purple up only because it is not giving you the desired outcome. Use another source of calc and mag. Pictures would help a lot.
    The proper Iodine level (in sea water) is .06 with .08-.09 becoming lethal so you are on shaky ground there. Stopping the purple up will assist in the depletion of the excess Iodine. Post pics if you can.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. dca241

dca241 Astrea Snail

Thought of that, but this does not seem to be normal activity at all- I mean the xenia hasnt pulsed since yesterday and lost a couple 'pulsing things' < sorry, dont really know the word for this :p And with the zoo's only 2 or 3 are open, but the rest are retracted with a little 'algae' around the stalks. Their IS NOT any white spots on them, so it cant be pox..

AS far as the health of my leathers- they accumulated 'algae' also, i cleaned it off but didnt seem to help the health of the coral, then litterally disintegrated over time. Im talkin fibers comming out of the leather itself and eventually shrivilling to NOTHING.....

Sorry, just bought the fixture not toooo long ago, forgot about the specific specs of it.

Its a light fixture made by Current [dual satellite]
    (4 lamps in 2) Has a dual day light (6,700K/10,000K)
    and a dual Actinic (420NM/460 NM).
    Apparently each lamp is actually 65 watts- total of 130 Watts over 30 Gallons (4+ watts per gallon)
    It was + $200 bucks- it BETTER be enough lighting ::)

As far as what i think im just gonna do- wait for the rest to eventually die, keep up with H20 changes- and just gradually introduce- just pisses me off since i cant find out what im doing wrong, and i should be able to add coral NOW!! im tired of staring at rock :[

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hey DCA241 - how are your snails and other inverts doing? if it where copper related as in copper has got into the rock and is leaching out over time - then snails are often 1st casualties as they feed directly of the rock and thus copper enter their systems quicker than it affects other things
    so if your snail started dying 1st followed by the corals - maybe copper is suspect