im starting again

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by kingterra, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

thanks man hopefully i can make it better this time thanks for the encouragements and helpful tips.

2. Click Here!

3. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

one more question guys how do i know that my tank is starting to cycle?i test my waters and this are the results
    ph 8
    ammonium 0.25
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Once the ammonia and nitrite hits 0 and stays there. You will also start showing some nitrates.

5. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

your cycle has started! Take it slow and dont add anything for at least a month. In that time, you can research more. You asked about lighting for a reef.... I would recommend T5 lighting for your tank. You would be able to keep ANY easy coral under those lights. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

how do i know that my cycle is done?in a month how many times do i have to check my water parameters?
    if i will use t5 lighting how many bulb or bulbs do i need to buy and how about the colors?

7. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

When your amm and nitrite are at ZERO then you will get nitrates. when the nitrates start going down, your good to go. It should take about 6 weeks or so. You can start adding some snails and/or hermits at about 4 weeks. Then at about 6 weeks, if your numbers are good, you can start adding fish. No more than 1 fish every week or two tho. If you add too fast, you will start another cycle. I wouldnt test more than every week or so.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

glad you got the 30 Kingterra, you should have a lot better experience this time around

+1 on all advice given above, testing once per week is adequate while cycling, but you do need to have something in the tank to cycle the tank

there are many options/ alternatives on this

1 - Slocal refers to as the dark side (or was the reference China related?) 1 x yellow tailed blue damsel, placed into the tank after it has been set up, with filters running etc for about 2 weeks
    2 - Throw in some food stuffs, thawed frozen shrimp and let it rot
    3- use one of the commercially available bacteria cultures to seed the tank ( mixed opinions on this method)

any one of these 3 methods can and do work
    the target is to encourage the beneficial bacteria you need in order to deal with the waste of subsequent additions

Clown fish I should add, do not make good 1st additions to a reef tank and should not be used in place of yellow tailed blue damsels or other damsels if you choose option 1

Wish you well, and looking forward to some pictures

Steve

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

Hahaha, I'm in no way referring to the PRC :uhoh:

11. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

i was inspecting my tank this evening and i saw some live creatures like small snails,i also saw 1 small crab and 1 strange looking creature just like an umbrella and was grawling in the rocks,1 still have 1 clown who survives from my first try is it ok if i put him in the tank instead of theyellow tailed blue damsel?
    during the cycle do i have to run my skimmer and my filter especially if i will choose option 2??

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

The small snail things are probably stomatella. Did they look like they have a flatter shell than regular snails? The umbrella thing is probably a small feather duster, maybe?

You should not run your skimmer during the cycle, but do run the other filter. I wouldn't run any carbon or anything like that in it, but you need to build up the biological filtration on it as well.

I wouldn't cycle with the clown fish now. Just hold off on him and add him when the tank is stable.

Also I don't know if you got your lights yet, but t5s are good. You want around 4 watts/gal so for you thats going to be 120 watts.