im starting again

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by kingterra, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WarHead

WarHead Plankton

I'm a little confused.you said this was going to be a FOWLR tank correct?Then why are you asking what corals you can put in it? An anemone is a horrible choice for FOWLR,they require pristine water conditions as well as quality lighting.They can not tolerate the higher ammonia levels a FOWLR is likely to contain.As for the mineral water...what kind are we talking?Also I wouldn't reccommend collecting sand and rock from the ocean,it can contain contaminents that you don't know about.Things you probably don't want in your tank.Now if you do plan on keeping coral in your tank you will definately need some good lighting.I am not clear on what you mean by one white one and one blue one.And lastly your fish choices for a 10g are limited at best.very few species do well in such a small environment.water quality will also be harded to control is such a small tank.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

confused confused
    i can take it my bad !bad ! remember a beginner!!!ding!!!ding!!! hello thanks man im a beginner remember that why i posted my seond time around critisims is welcome if its make me a better or good saltwater man why not!!!!but dont blame me for my ignorance thats why im here i need help!!!!!remember ??????critisism maybe next time when im a certified good or very good reefer peace.3stars and a sun

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hey kingterra, dont worry, everyone on this site has made mistakes at one tme, war head was not critisising you, he was just indicating that until your certain what you want to keep, its hard for anyone to give great advice

but Coral reefer made an excellent point that warhead has also raised

a larger tank is easier to maintain and gives you more options on what you keep

think about it in Nemo terms ( easy to relate to Nemo) Nemo is a 10 gallon tank (bad idea but for example it will serve its purpose) produces an amount if waste which is poluting the water whilst awaiting bacterias the nullify it
    Nemo in a 50 gallon tank produces the same amount of waste but that waste in the 50 gallon is more diluted and thus has less of an effect on the creatures in the tank

Saying that, if for whatever reason, you are going to have to use a 10 gallon. check out the Nano threads on this site and see what others have kept sucessfully in this type,size of tank

Your lighting its been mentioned by warhead and previously by myself - we would need to know what it is? type and wattage , before we could advise if any corals could be kept under it

Steve

2 people like this.
  5. slocal

slocal Doot!

I'd try to add to this, but steve is giving bang on advice.

Welcome to 3reef and welcome back to salt water!

6. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

thanks for your help man maybe a 30 gallons is ok i dont have the space anymore, thats why i cannot keep a 55 gallons or larger

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

30 gallons would be 3 times as good as a 10 gallon Kingterra
    much easier to choose equipement to run it, such as lighting, skimmers etc

and your options on types and QTYS are better for you

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

i got a 30 gallon tank yesterday i will try to post some pic next time,have a nice day reefers

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Sweet a 30 gal will be much easier to keep than a 10 gal. Trust me I have a 10 gal and it is tough keeping that stable with only a mantis shrimp in it. I know I would have killed a fish if I had one in there.

Now that you have your bigger tank, are you still wanting to go fish only?

With a 30 gal you would be able to keep a small anemone but not for at least a year. If you want an anemone you will need very strong and expensive lighting.

Are you thinking about doing a reef tank at all? As in with corals and the like? In my opinion corals are so much better than anemones. You don't have to worry about corals moving around. You don't have to worry about corals dying and killing all of your live stock.

You can even get some coral that look kind of like an anemone. This is a frogspawn. It has tentacles like an anemone but are easier to keep and won't move around. They can still sting stuff though, so you have to keep other corals out of reach.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

for now i think i will go for fish only as may tank age a little bit ,with the nice looking corals i saw every time i go to my fish store, i think i will go for reef later on.one question what kind of lights do you suggest if i will go for reef?

1 person likes this.
  12. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey there, i have a 5.5 gallon up and running and doing great!!! nano tank scan be done but you need a lot of help and experience. I am glad you went with the 30. I myself will be starting a 29 here in a couple of monthz... K+ for you! Let us know