im starting again

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by kingterra, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

actually this is my second try the first one stayed for a week before i discontinued and now im trying again.
    what i have is

10 gallon tank
    tetratec ex600 filter
    150 watts heater
    1 more cannister filter inside and works also as powerhead
    lighting a have only a regular white and blue.
    i also have a jebo skimmer i bought it already before i discover this site.eehehehehehehe

im planning a FOWLR and i also want to put some anemones

please help me here as i go

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Kinterra

10 gallons , you might want to check the threads on here related to Nano tanks have a look on the show of your fish tanks there are a number of tanks of this type

you will get some ideas of what you can keep in these type of set ups.

I will say one thing about Anemones - they are not an easy species to look after, many are very light demanding and need perfect water quality, and if you cannot provide these things 24/7 x 365 - they will move - and when they move, that brings a host of new problems

Steve

4. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

now i know before i discontinued my last set up i have 1 anemone when i wake up in the morning my water became cloudy i was looking he is not there any more i found him stuck in the filter dead that maybe the cause why my water was so cloudy and thus all my 3 other fish died.

5. steve wright

Its a shame to say, its not a rare occurance, even reef keepers with lots of experience/ knowledge and great reef tanks can have negative experiences with Nems

the dead nem would have poluted your water, they do release toxins and that probably explains the loss of the 3 fish

have you stripped and cleaned your set up now? and started again or at least run carbon in your filter in order to take out any toxins?

its dissapointing if you had your heart set on a nem, but believe me, the possiblity that if you buy another one the same thing will happen again is very high

stick with some less demanding but equally as attracitive species for 12 months and then re think about it?

I only have 6 years salt water experience but I know these species are not for me

Steve

6. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

thank a lot for your advice ok will not put anemones for the meantime so what are this less demanding but equally as attracitive species can you give me some inputs?
    i went to the beach this morning a pick around 6-7 kilos of rock, do you consider this live rocks?and around 2 kilos of sand again do you again consider this as live sand?i already put them together and added bottled water is this also what they called RO?and i used instant ocean for my salt.

7. steve wright

Hi Kingterra - with you being in the UAE - I cant comment on your use of local found rock and sand? I do know that where I am now, and where I was in UK, I would not have wanted any local found materials in my reef tank ( you know your area better than me)

if the rocks where dry, and are always dry, then they are not going to have any life forms of an aquatic nature on them so would not be live rock - if they are from rock pools or from an area that stays submerged , they will have bacteria on them and thus would be considered live rock

same principles for the sand, I believe

bottled drinking water - there are different types type one is RO water which is just plain water that has been filtered using reverse osmosis and the other type is mineral water
    mineral water has other things added and thus not right for use in making up saltwater

Instant Ocean is a reputable brand and IMO a good choice

as stated Im not sure about local conditions in the UAE - But of your in any doubt about levels of polution etc - may be better to buy sand and rocks and not take any chances

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

thanks a lot,both the rocks and sand are submerged so i guess they are live then ehehehe i think i used mineral water ehehehehe what will i do now?can i put any medicines to remove thus an wanted additives?

again sir what are thus less demanding but equally as attracitive species can you give me some inputs?

10. steve wright

sorry Kingterra, missed the last part of you previous question

for a 10 gallon tank, depening on lighting ? I would suggest Zoanthids, Yellow Polyps (check out Mission Six article on this site) Mushroom colonies and Green star polyps all these are often reffered to as beginners corals - if you are able to buy small frags rather than large rocks in the UAE , then thats best,as a a 10 gallon fills up rather quickly with large peices of rock with polyps on.

mineral water ? the honest answer is I dont know! as I have never used it, and thus never had to find out what to do in order to remove un wanted minerals that are now in your tank?

hopefully someone else will join in and help us out here? Please?

but for 10 gallons of salt water , if we dont get any positive input on the mineral water issue - might be worth starting yet again using RO water or distilled water

Steve

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi!
    Glad you decided to give salt another try as I can understand the reasons why!
    The only thing is I would go with a larger tank than the 10 gallon!! Especially since this is going to be a fish only with live rock aquarium, you are not going to have much flexibility nor be able to house many fish other than maybe a couple fish depending on the size for the best success.
    Plus the chances of human err and water parameter fluctuations associated with the 10 gallon greatly increase over the larger tanks.
    I just don't want to see you fail with such as small aquarium, especially being a fish only tank at that!
    I would go for a 55 gallon as a good starting point and go from there in my opinion.
    Best of luck to you which ever path you decide to choose!

12. kingterra

kingterra Skunk Shrimp

thanks for all your advices keep it comming guys