Im started vodka dosing.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Night-Rida, Jan 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

only have had the LR/reef tank setup for 9 months, CC&FO for 10+ years, I'll change out the remaining BB in next 2 weeks with more LR rumble in sump..

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

That little bit with the kalk is fine... It just makes the kalk dissociate more and doesn't have a large impact on your carbon source, either way your doing good :)

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well I couldnt wait, I got pretty much all my bioballs out except for maybe 10 of them. I added 2lbs of fiji live rock rumble in there. probly add another 2 lbs more to fill the sump compartment all the way up to the drip tray..plan on adding another 10lbs more fiji to display tank as well in next couple weeks..

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well little update!

after my 11month old api nitrate test at home shows: 40ppm nitrate

took 2 samples to 2 different LFS today to have them test.

LFS #1 API (2 week old) 5ppm nitrate
    LFS #2 API (strips) 5ppm nitrate

I believe the stores readout are probly right.
    so I've decided to cut back my vodka dosing, as Im close to 0 range.

Currently 2.5ml daily
    to 1.50 ml daily and continue monitoring..

I will keep everyone updated. :cheesy:

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well after figuring out my LFS wasnt doing the api test per instructions.. shake for 1min and wait 5 for results. I figured worst case scenario my test results were right at 40ppm nitrates..

I decided to go back to my full 2.5 ml of vodka dosing after this finding..

well just did my water test heres the update:

salinity: 1.026
    ph: 8.1
    temp: 78
    calcium: 400
    mag: 1300
    dkh: 15
    phos: .25
    nitrate: 20
    nitrite: 0
    amon: 0

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well week 6 update:

salinity: 1.025
    ph: 8.2
    temp: 77
    calcium: 380
    dkh: 14
    phos: .25

I'm just decided to up my dose to 4.0ml a day. nitrates stop falling for last week. I have been a little heavy on the feeding.. try to help a candy cane coral come back to life.. keep everyone posted..

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well another update. my nitrates are around 15-20ppm. and Ive been getting those clear strains floating around my tank. so Im going to back off on the dosing again. I also introduced 4 mangroves in my sump as well to aid in this nitrate reduction.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well week 8 update:

salinity: 1.025
    ph: 8.3
    temp: 77
    calcium: 380
    dkh: 15
    phos: 0

Ive been dosing 1ml daily.. and my nitrates have been bouncing around up to 40 a few days ago, now at 20. I've added some 5-7 lbs of base rock, 1 gold/black striped damsel fish, 3 soft corals, 5 mangroves and some baseball sized chaeto ball. so thats probly why i had a little spike in nitrates.. since adding mangroves and chaeto and my phos is at 0 and nitrates at 20.. I believe im going to stop dosing vodka and let nature run its course. mainly because Im sick of all does dam floaty clear stringy things forming in tank from vodka dosing (slighty overdosing probly) & daily dosing.

Now after 8 weeks and having upwards of 80ppm nitrates in the beginning and now to a solid 20ppm, I have concluded that the dosing does works but is very touchy procedure and daily routine can be a PITA not to miss a dose. nothing has died, corals and fish look good...

so my next test is to see if chaeto and mangroves can lower my nitrates down even more so now. might add 1 more type of macro algae down there too. so if anyone has any questions or comments feel free to speak or ask me. I guess I have some vodka to drink up. :)

Night-Rida

11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Well good to see you have had some success. I would be very interested in seeing it go another month but I'm not the one who has to dose the stuff. :)

On that note from what I've read missing a dose or two isn't the end of the world so I wouldn't worry too much about it, it might slow your progress down slightly but the whole carbon dosing thing takes a long time to work anyway.

I would be tempted to continue dosing smaller amounts in combination with the macro, find the amount that doesn't produce the bacterial blooms and stick with that for a few months and not worry about dosing every single day so much.

Just an idea for you.

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I might do that.. Ive been using vingear with my kalkwasser drip.. so i also count that as carbon dosing.. I'll have to make up my mind on continuing vodka soon if im going to do it any further..