I'm scared of my zoas!!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by kcbrad, Mar 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tat2reefer

tat2reefer Plankton

Some people can be much more sensitive. I don't wear gloves when handling my corals. Many times when the slimey ooze comes from the zoas, my fingertips get tingly and numb. But never anything worse...still...always be careful.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Good subject to bring up since I didn't know and love zoas...so I'll just take precautions.
    Is also good to know that if some accident happened I know what to look for so you could tell a Dr. or Vet. the possible culpret.

4. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

KC... good to hear from you... sorry but was away for a week on a business trip. I can only re-emphasize to use gloves and you will be fine. I am a big supporter of ALWAYS using gloves, even when just going in the water. I know some think I am a bit crazy and to some of us nothing ever happened.... but better safe than sorry, right?! Would love to see some pics of them...... Hope all is well!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I think it's so interesting that some zoas and palys hold one of the deadliest toxins on Earth, but there are no warnings anywhere! LFS, online, etc. no place I've bought zoas from has had a sign, or a verbal warning. I think it's important to know!!

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yeah I've heard that some corals you need to wear gloves with, but the innocent looking zoas???
    Never trust the innocent "puppy dog" look...LOL

LFS should probably let you know to be cautious handling them and give you the warning signs of poisoning by them.

7. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Actually I just re watched a video I have about the Great Barrier Reef and they spoke of the chemical warfare employed by the different corals & some inverts & fish as well.They are actually using the different neurotoxins and such from the corals to help find cures and such for human diseases/syndromes/problems.

8. Click Here!

9. JHiestand

JHiestand Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I know this is an old thread but that is one of the better posts I have seen on this site. LOL!!