I'm scared of my zoas!!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by kcbrad, Mar 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm getting that paralysis again, I am nodding and smiling :)

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

funny you give those examples, i have both a pufferfish and a poisinous toad, when cleaning my toads tank one hopped into my hand :D

lol guess im going to die :lol:

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Fun Facts:

Palytoxin is the most toxic natural product known, it is estimated that the lethal dose for a human is less than five micrograms. Supplies are extremely limited as it is only found at low concentrations in the corals that do contain it, although this may change if a microbial source is found.

Palytoxin is an incredibly complex molecule with 64 stereocenters and a backbone of 115 contiguous carbon atoms. Most chemists would believe it to be beyond the capabilities of modern chemistry to make it in the laboratory, but this was managed in 1989.

Symptoms

* Angina-like chest pains;
    * asthma-like breathing difficulties;
    * tachycardia (racing pulse);
    * unstable blood pressure with episodes of low blood pressure;
    * hemolysis;
    * electrocardiograms show and exagerrated T wave.

Full article here:
    Palytoxin

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

def didnt get into your blood... but if it did you would be dead, hear me, DEAD

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

what about the botoxin AKA the chemical in botox... it is derived form a bacteria (clostridium? sp) that stuff is PRETTY powerful

edit: remembered name

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

A fellow reefer who I buy some corals from from time to time had his dog die of zoanthid poisoning. It ate something that came in contact with a zoanthid frag at some point and had toxins on it. The dog started vomiting and went into a coma only 3 hours after it ingested the toxin.... This stuff is serious... I didnt realized how potent these things were until I heard this story and did more research on the topic. My fragging partner and good friend JossMalo touched a paly frag when he had a small cut on his finger and it continued to swell and took well over a week for the pain to stop and for it to fully heal. Its scary to think about, but with caution keeping zoanthids is rewarding. Good topic to bring up Kacy. :) I havent heard it addressed on here before.

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Its called botulism my friend. ;) Haha.

1 person likes this.
  10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

well I just put my new zoas into the tank. I was a little scared!! But I wore gloves and put the wet towels into the laundry right away.

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Cool cant wait to see some pics.

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I touch mine without protection pretty often and have left with nothing but some slimey skin.

Disclamer: Someone else may have a strong reaction so to be safe use gloves.

1 person likes this.