Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by kcbrad, Mar 9, 2010.
Join 3reef now to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.
I'm getting that paralysis again, I am nodding and smiling
funny you give those examples, i have both a pufferfish and a poisinous toad, when cleaning my toads tank one hopped into my hand
lol guess im going to die
Palytoxin is the most toxic natural product known, it is estimated that the lethal dose for a human is less than five micrograms. Supplies are extremely limited as it is only found at low concentrations in the corals that do contain it, although this may change if a microbial source is found.
Palytoxin is an incredibly complex molecule with 64 stereocenters and a backbone of 115 contiguous carbon atoms. Most chemists would believe it to be beyond the capabilities of modern chemistry to make it in the laboratory, but this was managed in 1989.
* Angina-like chest pains;
* asthma-like breathing difficulties;
* tachycardia (racing pulse);
* unstable blood pressure with episodes of low blood pressure;
* electrocardiograms show and exagerrated T wave.
Full article here:
def didnt get into your blood... but if it did you would be dead, hear me, DEAD
what about the botoxin AKA the chemical in botox... it is derived form a bacteria (clostridium? sp) that stuff is PRETTY powerful
edit: remembered name
A fellow reefer who I buy some corals from from time to time had his dog die of zoanthid poisoning. It ate something that came in contact with a zoanthid frag at some point and had toxins on it. The dog started vomiting and went into a coma only 3 hours after it ingested the toxin.... This stuff is serious... I didnt realized how potent these things were until I heard this story and did more research on the topic. My fragging partner and good friend JossMalo touched a paly frag when he had a small cut on his finger and it continued to swell and took well over a week for the pain to stop and for it to fully heal. Its scary to think about, but with caution keeping zoanthids is rewarding. Good topic to bring up Kacy. I havent heard it addressed on here before.
Its called botulism my friend. Haha.
well I just put my new zoas into the tank. I was a little scared!! But I wore gloves and put the wet towels into the laundry right away.
Cool cant wait to see some pics.
I touch mine without protection pretty often and have left with nothing but some slimey skin.
Disclamer: Someone else may have a strong reaction so to be safe use gloves.
Separate names with a comma.