I'm ready to start a planted aquarium

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by doxikota, Mar 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doxikota

doxikota Plankton

I'm very new to the planted aquarium but am going to give it a shot. It appears I need to get a good substrate. So I'm going to purchase Eco Complete Plant substrate. It comes in 20 lbs bags (How much do I need for a 20g H aquarium?).

It is a completely cycled set up w/ 6 tetras, 2 albino corys, 1 danio, and 1 pleco. Should I move them all to the 55 gal while I get the plant thing going?:-/

Do I drain most of the water out to put the substrate in? My plants are already ordered and will be shipped April 1st. How long can they wait in their shipping packaging before I put them in the tank while I get it ready? :-[ I know I should've waited until all things were set up before ordering the plants but I didn't and they are on their way. :)

Thanks,
    Pam Bethke
    Doxikota Miniature Dachshunds, Smooth & Wirehaired - Conformation, Performance and Companionship

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You would be better off using that money for the magic dirt towards a CO2 supply system and as for the bottom cover just find a natural aquarium sand or gravel 1-3 mm. in size .. Make sure its totally non Carbonate sand.. Good lights and CO'2 are what separates successful planted tanks from failed planted tanks also a 20 High is not that great of a tank to use for a planted tank system, Tanks that are longer and wider then tall make the better choice .

4. doxikota

doxikota Plankton

I have a 55gal and don't want to tear that down as it is new. I only have a 20 h to start with. Since that is what I have that is what I want to experiment with. Any suggestions on how to make it work? I ordered only plants that were marked "easy", no Co2 requried, low light. I want to start "easy". Thanks
    Pam B.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Do you have a pH test kit Pam?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You need to set the tank up cure the water and then add the plants first.. And I have ran planted tanks and I have never seen any plants that where not benefited by CO2 its a must unless the system is really established and overly stocked with animal respiration and waste to feed the plants . And with good lighting seldom will a single bulb strip work.. Planted tanks can be a finicky to run as a S/W reef coral tank . I loved my planted tanks I used to breed and keep several strains of Discus and Angels and 1000's or Cardinals and neons for flash and activity. A planted tank is a really beautiful thing i think..

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Agreed. They are up there with reef tanks in my opinion.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I agree with Tangster on the substrate. Eco-Complete is not worth the money imo. Eco Complete leeches out phosphates like theres no tomorrow. Invest that money in a CO2 kit.

What species of plants did you order for your system?