IE6 - Do you have it? Can you help debug?

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have a feeling a lot of this is related to what browsers are available at work. System administrators in a corporate environment do not allow downloads and network wide upgrades are done on a schedule for security reasons, etc. So I think there may be more IE6 users than we think. :p

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

That's why its good to be the network administrator. :p I don't have that problem.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes, I thought of that but if she won't get into trouble she can download IE8 independently (save, to run whenever you want) and bring it up to see 3reef.

5. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

Now I know what my network administrator does all day!!;D

6. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

As a follow up...I allowed IE6 to suggest the ActiveX Flash driver and re-installed the Flash dirver... Now I have the logo and access to 3Reef with IE6...

7. bluewhite4

bluewhite4 Astrea Snail

Actually IE8 is a huge pain for a lot of system admins.

Both IE8 and IE7 have been huge steps from Microsoft to conform to industry standard, so are big steps away from IE6.

And unfortunately a lot of web applications were built while IE6 was out, and built specifically for IE6. (That's why some things just won't work in Firefox or other 'industry standard' browsers.)

I deal with this daily at work. The manufacturer of our primary product has been coding their stuff specifically for IE 6 since 2001. It breaks horribly in IE7, and IE8 because they're too new. Unfortunately I can't convince all our customers to upgrade to the latest versions of the product that support IE7 or IE8 in January, so I have to have one of each to access all the old versions of the system.

Its the same way at big companies. Often times their system admins won't even let an average customer install any software because without proper testing, there's no way to know what else it might break.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Can someone confirm that the site loads in IE6 now? :-/
    Amcarrig is still having problems with it at work.

Windows Vista will not let me install IE6. (Yay Microsoft!) Looking into a version for my mac... but if you can play around with IE6 and let me know how it loads 3reef I would really appreciate it.

matt

10. bluewhite4

bluewhite4 Astrea Snail

The only issue I can see, is that if I don't have the window expanded to the full size of my screen resolution, it puts the ad and the logo on two different lines. I've got a screen shot attached for you....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the info.
    Is that just happening in IE6? (I hope! :-[ )

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I may have just fixed this for IE6 - let me know!