Identify this Please.

Discussion in 'Coral' started by jnbahwkins, Nov 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

I think this is some sort of coral,I just got it on some live rock.I am a newbie so i don't know what alot of things are.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

Wow,I cant belive nobody knows :'(

4. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

John I'm pretty sure I've seen this before, but I can't think of it right now... anyone help out? (bump)

6. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Looks like a dying/dead encrusting coral. if it is on the botoom of the rock and is able to be scrapoed off without too much effort i would say it is a sponge. You can tell which side was facing up in the ocean by the growth of coralline algae. So if its on top and bone like (hard to scrape off) it is most likley an encrustng coral, if its on the bottom, and is soft, its probably a sponge.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Can you get a clearer macro picture of that?

8. Click Here!

9. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

Sorry cant get a better macro of it.I took several shots of it and that was the best one.I could take it out of the tank and take a shot but really don't want to do that.I am hoping it gets healthy.none of its color has receded since i got it so i guess that is a plus.it is a coral i am pretty sure since i have found others like it completely dead and they have pure white skeletons left behind.
    I was all ready on track of it being a encrusting coral
    but still not sure.
    I like knowing exactly what everything it in my tank is because i make up photo cards with all the info and put them on the back of the stand doors and this comes in handy for people who view my tank ,the card tells them the name /type where it comes from genius phylum how to take care of it etc..........If it survives i will make a card for it.

10. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

here is a different one hope it helps but i doubt it.

Attached Files:

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Kinda looks like the skeleton of a galaxy coral but I'm not positive. Can you take a close up of the corallites?

12. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

I hope you are not saying it is completely dead by saying it is a skeleton.It might be my imagination but i think it has turned a little bit deeper of a green since i got it.
    So i am hoping it is alive.So here is your pic,I took it out of the tank to take a picture even though i did not want to.

Attached Files: