Identification

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Potager, Jun 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Potager

Potager Plankton

My sea hare doesn't eat it but will add more turbo snail today

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. theajo87

theajo87 Astrea Snail

well its been 12 hours sense dose 2 of algaefix and its looks unaffected.. but i wasnt expecting a miracle.. just added another 10ml of H2O2..

4. Potager

Potager Plankton

I had gfo from bulk reef supply. I changed it for seachem phosguard. This product is supposed to remove silicate from water. Silicate might be the reason why i have algae with 0phosphate 0 nitrate

+ I Added 1 blenny & 4 more snails

5. theajo87

theajo87 Astrea Snail

GFO also removes silicates.. just administered dose 3 of algaefix still no change.. when i use phosguard I run carbon in the chamber after it in my reactors to take out any aluminum particles that may affect coral extension.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've used phosguard for years and really like it. I run it with carbon. I think you're probably still going to need to some water changes and manually remove as much as you can......also decrease the lighting period.

7. Potager

Potager Plankton

Today i spoke with a friend of mine who's very knowledge with fish tank. He told me golden algae is a normal cycle of a new fish tank. He said there is usually 3 stages when setting up a fish tank

1. Hair algae until water parameters stabilize

2. Golden algae

3. Ciano & diatoms outbreak

He said there is no miracle and none of our clean up crew will eat this crap. He was saying that the ONLY way get rid of golden algae is to lower water nutriments and to proceed to a NO light quarantine for 72 hours.
    Than .....
    Syphon as much as we can

Obviously,
    Do many water change

Let me know when you will start this process :)

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not sure I've heard of a golden algae but there are various algae stages in a new tank. I think that advice is ok in terms of lowering nutrients and reducing the light cycle (72 hours sounds like a lot but without corals it's not going to hurt) and manual removal. I don't agree in the failure to mention adding a phosphate reducing product and running some carbon.

10. theajo87

theajo87 Astrea Snail

"this too shall pass" haha just dosed aglaefix dose #4, the strands of "golden algae are now short but still on all area of rock that get direct lighting.. my light cycle went from 11am to 10pm is now 11am to 6pm.. starting tomorrow I'm cutting the light cycle to 5 hours a day.. as the "golden algae is reducing my snot(bacteria strands) is out of control skimmer full daily and siphoning out about a cup of just nasty SH** on the daily.. My new TDS meter came in yesterday and confirmed my 0 TDS reading from my RO/DI unit.. I will try to get a picture in tomorrow..

11. Potager

Potager Plankton

So basically your say is that it is working slowly but surely...? I'll do wait before doing anything drastic...

What's funny is that it is a normal thing to get but there's no forum thread regarding the fixing issue lolll.. Guys, we will be pioneers if that algea fix works :cheesy:

12. theajo87

theajo87 Astrea Snail

I got the algaefix Idea from another thread.. and i have found about a dozen threads with the white snot strings I have.. but like most problems in this hobby people would started a thread and never fallow through with results.. if its a phase, boy o boy its a long one for me..