Ideas

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Reef Club' started by TMartinez, May 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

So I have a friend who called me up yesterday and says "Hey, you looking for another tank". I say "sure, what is it?" He says "a 10-15g hexagon" I'm was like cool... plus its free

Well he brought it over and I did some math. The walls are 6.25" each and the height is 12.5"... so by my math it's a 5.5g setup (someone double check my work please) It's made by Marineland. I have seen people use the 2g Fluval Spec to make nano reefs so I figured I would give this a try.

What can I keep in a 5.5g tank? I was thinking maybe a pistol and/or sexy shrimp and maybe a small Goby and a helfricki firefish??? It has a pump and light assemble (one piece hood thing) already on it. It will be a fowlr tank for the time being but I'm guessing the CF lights are junk for coral growth and I will need LED? Or is there a decent 50/50 CF I could use? Also what about circulation pumps? I am running the filter right now just for flow. I'd like more though.

I pulled about 5 lbs of LR from my main tank (replaced it with base rock i went and bought today). I'm gonna see if I can find live argonite somewhere in a 5lb bag...

I think it would be a cool desktop tank If I can set it up right. Any advice or thoughts would be nice

2. Click Here!

3. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think a 50/50 CF could grow stuff well in the tank, as far as I know their problem isn't so much with initial light output, but how quickly PAR drops as the tank gets deeper(ie- they don't have the "punch" of T5, MH or LED). A firefish will probably be too large/active for a 5.5 Gallon, but I think you could do the goby+pistol shrimp. I believe Hydor has a Koralia specifically designed for nano sized tanks, you might want to check that out if you want more flow.

Good luck!

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

As for the sand. Just use dry argonite sand, then take like 2 cups of live sand from your other tank & seed it. Live sand isn't cheap. That's what I did on my 29gal Frag/QT tank.

5. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

Nit a bad idea. Plus there is a decent amount of lr in the tank which will be a big kickstart to the nitrogen cycle so dry sand may just be fine in general

6. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

I've been trying to post pics but it won't let me upload

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I would go LED, cf will not have the punch as said above. A boostled PAR30 would probably be enough light according to their PAR graphs. Is this one of those marineland AIOs? I would remove the hood and clip on an LED bulb, and drill it into your main tank (if it has a sump) using some UniSeals Aquatic Eco-Systems: Aquarium Supplies - Uniseals® and do an overflow like this: http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/4-5g-nano-vase-96576.html Post #15, #17 #40. If this seems like too much work I would get a small HOB but remove the hood. Add sand from your DT. I would also add a small pwerhead such as the top one on this page, it is about 2 quarters across: http://www.aquaglobe.com/select02.html#prod01
    Ask Pickuman66 he has a bunch.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

If your digital camera is greater than 5MP (megapixel), then the file size will be too big.. You have a few options. One resize the pics on the computer or two reduce the camera resolution/picture size & that should do the trick. 2MB files are going to be the limit. I upload all the time & my file sizes are about 1.38MB to 1.68MB.