Ideas to hide cables

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Peredhil, Jan 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I've got a Koralia Nano at the bottom of my tank and the cable is ugly.

Is there a product or simple idea out there to hide cables in (established) aquariums?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes, creative rock and coral placement. By strategically placing rock or coral in designated areas you can sufficiently reduce the eye sores accompanying cords and equipment!

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I try to keep as much equipment as I can in my sump as well.

Of course powerheads will be in tank, but a background / painted back helps so you don't see the cords dangling behind the tank, and everything inside, as coral reefer says - is all up to wise placement!

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I agree with the background. I have a black background in my 150G and it hides the cables, come to think of it, the Koralias themselves are hard to see too.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Their are various ways of concealing wires and other forms of equipment in your equipment. Translucent acrylic plates and paper backgrounds will work as does adding a fluorescent light to the back disbursing the light to create a sense of depth and 3-D image.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You can also buy those little suction cups for airlines that work with cables. Being able to really control/secure the cable routing can make a big difference

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Suction cups! Nice idea, that should help. I'll look for some.

To give you a better idea of what I'm talking about (and why I don't think strategic placement will work here) I am including a pic (which I probably should have done to begin with).

[​IMG]

What I'd really want is some sort of corner piece that would fit inside the tank that would be black that I could run the cord through. Kind of like those plastic cord runners you can buy for your television/computer equipment only that would fit into a corner (all the ones I found for TV's, etc. are more round) that I could secure.

As you can see, I have a silly paper background (next tank will be painted though).

(I call it silly because I think it looks silly - waiting for nature to cover that back wall for me)

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

cut a 4 in pvc pipe and then glue or mount LR to the 4 in pipe then you can cut out where you want the flow to shoot out of. DSC04081.JPG
    This is only a 3in pipe from my live framing for my 36. you can cut and hang rock where ever on this I just made clips from the left over pvc tubing to hang rock on. sorry about pic being sideways.