Ideas on vho an Mh setup

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by chetrod, Mar 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Are those 10,000k MH bulbs in there? Looks a bit more like 6500k from the picture.

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

The switch will be happening in the following weeks. As soon as my income taxes come in im going shopping for whats missing (should be this week ;D). I need to start drawing up my canopy, ill buy the stand, there nice and cheap at one of my LFS. I like your idea for the quick disconnect. Mind if i borrow it ;).

Marc.

4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Has anyone used aluminum foil to line the inside of a hood? seems like it might work good, but wasnt sure if there is any problems with it or not

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I heard about it.... It was one of the suggestions that the guy at my LFS gave me. He also said that they sell some reflective material (dont remember the name) in hydroponics supply stores thats pretty cheap and does a better job than foil.

Marc.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=m_lacom99 link=board=lighting;num=1109778288;start=30#43 date=03/15/05 at 15:49:53]I heard about it....  It was one of the suggestions that the guy at my LFS gave me.  He also said that they sell some reflective material (dont remember the name) in hydroponics supply stores thats pretty cheap and does a better job than foil.  

Marc.[/quote]

That's mylar. Much better than foil. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

thats the stuff... thanks Matt [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Marc.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

[quote author=m_lacom99 link=board=lighting;num=1109778288;start=30#41 date=03/15/05 at 08:45:23]The switch will be happening in the following weeks.  As soon as my income taxes come in im going shopping for whats missing (should be this week ;D).  I need to start drawing up my canopy,  ill buy the stand, there nice and cheap at one of my LFS.  I like your idea for the quick disconnect.  Mind if i borrow it ;).

Marc.[/quote]
    That would be cool, use the drawing I have made you can probably build the canopy for less than $100.00 with cabinet grade plywood or use 4x8 planks of oak or whatever wood. the disconnect Idea is good I plan on buying the male female ends and just connecting it as if it were an extension cord. That should work. My Uncle said that for the reflector you can use white alluminum siding or the stuff they make alluminum enclosures with. Has to be white or silver. ;D :eek: ::)

10. chetrod

The bulbs are 10k bulbs, I was reading that there is a break in period of 100 hours or so before they turn bright white.

11. chetrod

Here are some of the pics from the modified lid. I have a metal reflector plate coming form a metal shop that will line the whole inside and I will add two more fans. Eventually, I will add a couple 60" vho's as well. The other pics are in the gallery, I guess the file size was too big.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005