Ideas on vho an Mh setup

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by chetrod, Mar 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

The reflectors are 8" high x 18" wide x 18" long if my memory serves me right... They are big.... I plan on building my canopy pretty soon. i was thingking of putting a peice of glass right under the MH reflector and let 2 or 3" of free space over the water line. With built in fans so it doesnt heat up to much.

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

not a bad plan at all. You can probably create a slot in the reflector itself to hold the glass. So that it can be removed for cleaning. Are the reflectors pretty thick?
    I was thinking of getting a piece of polished alluminum to line the inside of the canopy lid. plan to mount it with spacers to allow air to flow between the alluminum and the wood. I have it all mapped out in my head I will try and put it on paper and post a pic tonight.

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I was planning to make a slot in the wood. the refleftors arent that thick.. i would say around 1/16 of an inch. Spacers between the top and the reflector is a very good idea cause they get pretty hot. Im still in the thinking process, i know how i want to mount my light... its how i will open up the canopy that im still wondering about.

Marc.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So how high off the water are you going to go chetrod?
    5" is too close I think. Most go 8" - 10".

6. chetrod

I plan on going 10 inches total but the halides will drop down to eight inches above the water. When I rebuild the face and sides of the canopy I will add a door for feeding and the entire lid will still be on its piano hinge so that if I need to get in there I can.I added a sketch in my gallery about the plan. It may be hard to see but the general idea is there.

Attached Files:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice drawing! :eek: 8)

Any fans pulling air out?

(FYI - you can click on the link next to the paperclip to see the full size image.)

8. Click Here!

9. chetrod

Yes there will be two of them in the back to pull the hot air out. I will build two blocks basically to house them in.

10. chetrod

The lights have came in and man are they bright. MArc do you have yours running at all right now or you waiting to make the canopy?

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

[quote author=chetrod link=board=lighting;num=1109778288;start=30#37 date=03/11/05 at 19:15:45]The lights have came in and man are they bright. MArc do you have yours running at all right now or you waiting to make the canopy?[/quote]

Im not using them right now. I bought them cause im switching my 55 to a 120 gal. They dont fit on my 55. But i have a friend that is running them right now and has been for the past 4 months. So if you have any questions that i cant answer ill get him to post on this thread, no problem.

Marc.

12. chetrod

I am glad to hear you are upgrading that should be fun. How soon will this take place? As far as this canopy I reconfigured the existing lid to fit the lights check it out. The only things these lights need is some type of quick disconnect just in case I have to remove the lid I don't have to unbolt them.

Attached Files: