Ideas for a 55 gallon aqua terrarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by SwimsWithFish, Feb 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

the plixiglass separator is very hard to pull off, well at least pull off and look good. its nearly impossible to make that look natural. i would suggest just piling some rocks and drift wood up so that could hold the sand, gravel, and soil up, if you dont do this the sand will eventually just even out and your water portion will be shallower or your land portion will be submerged. simply get some large pieces of bog wood and large stones to cover up wehre you want the land portion to be.

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Awww man, now I want one of these too!

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

In that case I'll use gravel so that it doesn't leak threw as much. I could even make a foam/wood barrier. I've also decided I want the land portion to be covered in moss. I'll also have a small pool for the anoles to dip and drink from. Here's a small sketch I made...

[​IMG]

The pump will send a tube up threw the backround and then it will trickle down threw a foam stream down the right side of the tank.

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

A water dish is unnecessary, anoles only drink water from droplets on the leaves. Also I believe a retaining wall is not the way to go. It looks unnatural and also the inhabitants and feeders like crickets may fall into the water and won't be able to get out because there is not enough of a ledge. I think a sand or gravel slope is the most aesthetically pleasing. And the most effective method of the half land half water vivarium.

6. SwimsWithFish

Ehh. I just want it to be more contained. If I want it to look more natural and have a slope I could always just silicone a price of glass in place and do the foam thing on the dividing glass with wood.

Oh and also, what did you stick into the foam? Sand?

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I had 3 anoles that drank from a bowl :confused:

8. Click Here!

9. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i dont think you understand how difficult this is to achieve, there will always be spaces with this method that a anole, or frog could get trapped in leading to its demise. the water does not need to be contained, the way i suggested is the simplest method and the most aesthetically pleasing, and there is alot less threat to your inhabitants lives.

10. SwimsWithFish

alright, ill try this method first and see how it goes.

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

the only time a plexiglass separator is a must is when you are required such a large body of water than the sand just cant hold up. for that they have realistic looking separators that mimic the markings of a rock outcropping or something.

12. SwimsWithFish

Oh really? Where can I find these separators? It will be 50/50 or 2:1 land to water,