Ideas for a 55 gallon aqua terrarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by SwimsWithFish, Feb 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Oh and hopefully I'll be able to buy the tank in like two weeks.

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

foam backgrounds look amazing if done right, i saw one setup that beforehand the guy zip tied a bunch of large branches then put foam around them so it looked like they were growing out of the back of the tank, then he put coconut shreds on it to make it look really nice. also they usually leave several spots in the background that are fit to house a plant or two to give it that steep rainforest type look.

4. SwimsWithFish

I'll need to price foam and cement to see how much it will cost me. It will have to happen after I have the viquarium so that I can fit it around it.

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

get the pond liner foam, or they have the water proof sealant for like spickets and such. those work the best try not to get the spray on insulation foam as that stuff will just crumple in the tank.

6. SwimsWithFish

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

or that, but with such a large tank its going to take several cans of that, you can get pond foam for much cheaper per can, and each can is about twice the size of that.

8. Click Here!

9. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

how i made mine look realistic is i painted it with some water resistant terrarium vivarium safe epoxy and sprinkled some dirt on it. it really looks great. i didnt use foam though i just got some plastic sheets and cut into them to make them look realistic.

10. SwimsWithFish

So you just sprayed pond foam on the back of the tank and then colored it? Sweet! Did it affect pH?

Oh an I found another animal... The green tree frog. So I'll do two anoles and a green tree frog.

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

well i did this for my vivarium. i have done it on an aquarium quite a few people on 3reef have done the foam rock background. in an aquarium you can sprinkle salt onto it to make it look realistic

12. SwimsWithFish

Sweet! I'll do the pond foam/cement thing.

Oh and I've been thinking and it might be cheaper and better just to do a sheet of plexiglass from one corner of the tank to another. That way I can make the water feature deeper and do the 'river tank' method. I could even put a pump in the tank and send a vynil tube to the top of the foam backround and let it trickle down for the waterfall.