ID This Crab

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Shu, Sep 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree. Get it out its not worth the risk. Put a glass in the bottom of your tank on a slant with food in it. The crab shouldnt be able to climb glass so when it goes in, it wont be able to get back out. Or you could just put a snowflake eel in your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

or you could just argue with people that have been there and done this for a while and do whatever you want. I'll bet you a million to one that you will be posting a thread saying "my fish keep disappearing" here pretty soon

4. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

Was that necessary? He wasn't arguing at all.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

I have clue where this came from. I never argued once. I was just asking peoples advise. With this hobby I have learned that everyone has their own way of doing things. I take everyone's input and appreciate your advice.

1 person likes this.
  6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ya id catch it and if you have a sump or fuge maybe put it in there until positive id and stop this arguement plz i hate it when ppl argue this is supposed to be a website where people give advice and help eachother and not argue over trivial things ive seen two arguements in the past month and these are the first ive ever seen on this site so plz stop

7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

You have been warned shu, get it out

8. Click Here!

9. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

WAIT!!! DONT GET RID OF IT YET! I have had two of these and it is a fiddler crab. It IS reef safe. They will get into the sand and crawl under your rocks. They are nocturnal. I never saw mine until the lights went out. Make sure your rocks are sturdy they wont survive if one falls on top of them. ALso, hermits might bully it and rip its legs off. That happened to one of mine =(. They do feed on detritus so that's a good thing.
    Eventually I will be getting a bunch of them for a 30 gallon tank I have

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I see where daniel is coming from. Those that know better can give our advice, but in the end it is up to the person asking the question whether he/ she takes our advice.

There are a lot of ways to do things in this hobby, and most times there is no one right way. However, my saltwater experience tells me rolling the dice with crabs in this hobby usually ends up biting you, or your fish in the butt.

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I would agree. Female Fiddler. Totally reef safe.

What do they eat? Fiddler crabs feedby collecting bits of mud with their small claws and sifting through the mud for detritus. Detritus is decaying plant and animal matter. This is released into the water from marsh plants and animals that have died. This decaying matter is full of the nutrients those plants and animals stored while they were alive. Eating detritus is an easy way for fiddlers to collect the nutrients they need.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I am not convinced on the ID thus far. The orange crab in the link does not have eyes like the one in question and the claws are much larger. I know claws don't mean much could be a female or something but the eyes are completely different.

How many legs does it have? In the picture it appears like 3 pairs plus a pair of claws, adding up to 8 appendages.