ID this anemone please

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by patrick824, Mar 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Now we're getting somewhere. Those things are destroyers of fish in small tidal pools..

4. Houston

Houston Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wait wait wait. Was there really a tremors 5?!?

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

they made 9 of those movies. i think that is probably the culrprit or its genus.

6. SaltyFred

SaltyFred Flamingo Tongue

It is actually a type of anemone. Its called a black snake anemone (Actinostephanus haeckeli) and like you said it has the power to inflict a very painful sting to both humans and anything that like in your tank. I have heard stories of it causing boils, skin loss, and of course death to just about everything that the common marine aquarist keeps in his or her tank. THIS IS A SUPER POSIONOUS SPECIMEN THAT SHOULD ONLY BE KEPT IN A SPECIES TANKS AND EVEN THEN KEPT WITH EXTREME CAUTION!

7. SaltyFred

It is actually a type of anemone. Its called a black snake anemone (Actinostephanus haeckeli) and like you said it has the power to inflict a very painful sting to both humans and anything that like in your tank. I have heard stories of it causing boils, skin loss, and of course death to just about everything that the common marine aquarist keeps in his or her tank. I have personally seen the wounds of some people where there skin almost melts off after it boils up. The effects are similar to the bite from a brown recluse.THIS IS NOT AN ANEMONE TO BE KEPT BY A PERSON THAT DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT THEM GIVEN THAT THEY CAN BE CAUSE OF GREAT HARM! THIS IS A SUPER POSIONOUS SPECIMEN THAT SHOULD ONLY BE KEPT IN A SPECIES TANKS AND EVEN THEN KEPT WITH EXTREME CAUTION!

8. Click Here!

9. SaltyFred

sorry for the double post guys. darn computer is messing with me

1 person likes this.
  10. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

wow! you guys are amazing!! i dont plan on touching it anytime soon :)

11. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

okay guys im alive!!! I am going to go to the store tomorrow and pick up some feeder fish tomorrow then VIDEOOOO- p.s. hes really hungry :)

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have already gotten my hopes up for a video before. If you don't come through with a video I will be throwing your dog in with that nem...