ID please

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by HORTON16, Jun 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think i seen this fish (same pic) on another thread??????

2. Click Here!

3. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

yea my tank thread

4. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Lol yea it was urs lol sorry i thought it was from omard. But it is a a very nice fish. Are they aggressive towards others?? BTW i also have them same things in my tank.

5. HORTON16

HORTON16 Sea Dragon

Not aggressive at all. He minds his own business. One thing is I have had him for two weeks and he has not eaten food at all. I feed flakes. But I went to my LFS and he said the fish must be eating something if he is healthy.

I will get frozen food tomorrow

6. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

+2 i have them as well, harmless detritus feeders, if they annoy you scrape em off

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

The white spots are Nerite snail eggs. I have them all over my tank and they are completely harmless. You can get them off with a scraper.

This is from WWM.

Unknown White Growths...Nerite Snail Eggs 5/15/07
    Hello all...
    <Hi David, Mich with you tonight.>
    First I would like to mention that I love your site and I find a lot of much needed information on it that I use in the daily maintenance of my tanks.
    <Thank you for this fine compliment!>
    Now, to my problem/dilemma. Over the past two weeks I have been having a problem with ich and some other parasites attacking the swim bladder that caused me to lose 9 fish in 2 1/2 days
    <Yikes!!! I'm very sorry for you large loss.>
    (believe it or not, this is not my problem).
    <Ok, I'm a little scared now!>
    The other day when I woke up I went to look at my tank to see how the survivors are doing and much to my surprise all my live rock and even the snail shells were covered with these white growths (I've attached two pictures, one of the snail shell (IMG_0485) and one of a piece of my live rock(IMG_0504)). I've searched your website, along with some others, and I may be missing something or using the wrong keyword but I cannot find anything that resembles or sounds like this outbreak. I'm guessing that it has nothing to do with the ich and other parasites that have taken over my tank but I would like to know what these unknown growths are and how to treat them.
    <Seems like you have some frisky Nerite snails in you tank. These would be Nerite snail eggs, they generally don't mature in captivity and there is nothing to treat here. A photo here: http://www.wildsingapore.com/chekjawa/largfoto/r422fx.htm >
    I took one of the snail shells to my LFS and after careful examination the owner determined that it looked like this growth feeds off of calcium. He came to this conclusion by taking a razor blade to the growth and removing it. When it came off the shell was all soft and a few layers could easily be scraped off. When you took the razor blade to other parts of the shell where no growths were, the shell was hard, as it should be. Could this be clam or mussel larvae? When I got home I was looking around my tank and found a snail that had a growth (looks like a shell) on it. I've attached that picture as well (IMG_0512). I'm sorry about that picture but it was as close as I could get to the turbo snail using my digital camera and lens. Do you have any suggestions as to what this problem could be?
    <This is not a problem or anything to be concerned about. You will likely see these "sesame seed" like eggs wax and wane in your system.>
    If so, how do I treat it because my 125 gallon is stocked full of these white growths. Thank you for your time and continued knowledge.
    <Welcome! My pleasure to assist.>
    Good night....Dave
    <G'night! Mich>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the Spirorbis worms. From WWM.
    Oh Mich.... ID Spirorbis spp. and possibly Collonista spp.. Now small snails – 09/29/07
    <Hi Melissa!>
    I am still battling the horrific red hair algae
    <Will take time. Keep on plugging.>
    but noticed something else today. I have baby snails. TONS and TONS of them. At least I think that is what they are. They appear as tiny white dots and are conspicuously shaped like @.
    <The white dots shaped like @ are spiral tube feather dusters (Spirorbis spp.). They are harmless filter feeders surviving on dissolved nutrients in the tank. Nothing to be concerned about.>
    My 5 snails that I purchased are Astraea snails. There are literally hundreds of these little things on my glass. If they all mature god help me.
    <They may already be mature.>
    I will attach some pics. I do have a few that are a little larger but is there anything I can do about them?
    <Likely you won’t need to do anything about them.>
    I even considered trying to sell them to LFS. Sorry the pics aren't the best I had to use super macro mode and still place the lens to the glass. Then once again zoom and crop.
    <These are fine. You did a good job.>
    They are so small look more like specks of dust. I got to looking and the little buggers are all OVER the place, LR, glass, sand. Literally all over.
    <Reproduction junction? Heehee!>
    Funny I am so anal about my water quality and apparently nothing else if it is just fine
    <Heehee! We've all be guilty of tunnel vision.>
    for the snails that is assuming they are snails. Funny thing the adults I purchased have only been in there about a month.
    <Although it is possible, I don't think these are babies. I am more inclined to think these are some sort of very tiny snail species, possibly (hopefully) mini Turbos (Collonista spp.) which would be a beneficial addition to your tank. Mini Turbos primarily graze on diatoms and microalgae.>
    Cheers,
    Mich>
    Melissa Oh Mich.... ID Spirorbis spp. and possibly Collonista spp. – 09/29/07
    Mich~
    <Hi again Melissa!>
    After doing some reading I can only come to the same conclusion. I am assuming they came in with the Aragalive or the LR.
    <My guess would be the LR.>
    Meaning they have been in there for months but I am just now noticing them.
    <Good likelihood!>
    So typical.
    <Heehee!>
    I was worried my temperature spike had prompted some type of spawning event.
    <This is not unheard of, but not likely to be the case here as it would likely take longer for the snails to develop to this stage.>
    Good lord I was scared. Hehehehe
    <Nothing to fear... Underdog is here... OK Underdog isn't here, but I don't think you have anything to worry about here. You definitely have no worries with the Spirorbis. But there are some small predatory snails, but I don't think this is what you have.>
    Thanks again,
    <Welcome, happy to help! Mich>
    Melissa
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.