ID please

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mdbostwick, Mar 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Same here. All hands on deck... or in the aquarium. Since I dont have a deck .... aawww well... u get what I'm saying!

Vermetid snails are a pain. I had 2 tank crashes and they still survive. I researched and bought bumblebee snails, they didn't work. Tank crashed first time around June 2012 and they came back within 4 months. There was talk of certain fishes eating them. But I honestly did not see a specifics fish that was confirmed. That was a while back though.

The second crash happen about a year ago. I did not have any live stock left and all that survived were aiptasia, flatworms and vermetid snails.

Crush them if u can. Your protein skimmer and filters will keep the slime off but crush as many as u cana.

Additionally, some people were supergluing or putting epoxy on the tip of their tubes. This traps the snail in and starves it to death. Depending on the number of snails u have it may be easier to crush 'em.

Their numbers decrease alongside with your nutrients.

At this point, i have other things that took priority, but If u find something else that works, PLEASE let me know.

zesty likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I agree, I hate those little buggers. I just read this before lunch and then saw this at home.
    [​IMG]

you can see that snail has been there so long the monti covered it, but not the opening... It just happen to be facing the right way and I had just spotted it.

I did break it off, but then I saw the little bugger slip back in his home. grrrrrr

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'm back....

You can use super glue to seal off the tube opening.

zesty likes this.
  5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I agree with the starving option in this case. A tiny ball of epoxy or super glue, remove the coral, apply to the opening and put it back. You're done!... kinda... now look around and see if you can find any more. If you do, rinse and repeat.

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

supposedly copperband butterfly fish will eat them. Unfortunately, my tank is too small for one.