Unresolved ID please is this a flat worm I have a bunch of them

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mirandacollc, Jan 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slocal

slocal Doot!

Those are a type of flatworm. Those happen to be in the acoel family. I see no gills so this is not a nudibranch. It definitely is not a stomatella as it has no shell or antennas. The pic in the first post is a flatworm.

2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Well im lost on what it is? I think its a flat worm but I have never had any flat worm. There are hundreds of them in the am when I turn the lights on. they scurry into the rocks pretty fast though. I am just lost and this is the first shot ive got yet of one in the light.

4. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

I think that was from "Encino Man".

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Could be. I was thinking a Chiton (couldn't remember the name at the time). Here is the underside of a Chiton. Looks a lot like the original picture.
    http://faculty.clintoncc.suny.edu/f...s/Lophotrochozoans/chiton_ventral_surface.jpg

I was assuming that the animal in the original picture is on the glass and we are looking at its bottomside. Now I'm wondering is it on te gravel and we're looking at the top?

Maybe you'll find an ID browsing through here. Live Rock Hitch Hikers

6. slocal

slocal Doot!

The reason why I'm leaning against the chiton is just how transparent the creature in the original pic is.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have chiltons in one of my other tanks and its def not a chilton. It is something that roams around and moves quick and chiltons do not move to fast. this thing moves very fast. they move all over the tank faster then my mexican turbos.

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Stomatellas can move really quickly.

Do you have a better picture? Are we looking at the top or the bottom of theanimal?

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Its the bottom of it and its in the sand bed. I will try to get a pic in the am when I turn the lights on before they run away. they have no shell so I dident think its a snail.

11. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It's a chiton. It really isn't all that transparent, it's just the same color as your sand/gravel. It shouldn't be one of the oddballs, judging by its shape, so if you can get a view from the top it ought to look like this (more or less):

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Don

1 person likes this.
  12. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

could it be a limpet?