ID my leather and help with strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Seguragr, Mar 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

I don't know how I could get it in more flow. It's about 8"

2. Click Here!

3. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

Oops. Premature posting. 8" away from the front of a koralia evolution powerhead and he's right on top of my rock. Can't get it any higher up. I think the powerhead is a 950 gph pump, so I would have thought that would be plenty.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I have to disagree,that is a cabbage leather,but i do agree on more light and flow.It's also very typical for cabbages to slough frequently.I have a large cabbage,several types of toadstools and other leathers and by far the cabbage is the moodiest coral in the tank.The small polyps around the outside edge in the first pic looks to be cabbage.

Heres a pic of mine.

Attached Files:

5. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Ya, that's what I thought too, but in the second pic, the base looks like a toadstool! Posted a pic of all of mine a few minutes ago.

+1 on the cabbage being moody, mine is the same way, and I have had no luck fragging the stupid thing. Sends out babies all the time but the frags don't live!

6. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Change the direcetion of the power head or add another one. I have 2 1050's and a M.J 1200 on a wavemaker in addition to 2 quiet one 3000 return pumps on my tank!

7. grinder37

I agree,it looks like it may be stretching for light.

Also,i have a way better pic if i can find it,I got it a while back from a fellow 3reefer and although no babies,it has doubled in size,it's a beast and nice show peice in the tank when fully extended.And now that it has it's permenent spot in the tank,it's been much happier.

8. Click Here!

9. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

I wonder why it would decide all of a sudden that it wants more light or flow since it's been so happy for two months already. It has shed it skin multiple times so I thought it was happy where it was.

10. Seguragr

Seguragr Astrea Snail

@ grinder

why do you think it's stretching for light? I would think that it wouldn't have started leaning over if it needed more light. I would think that it would have stayed how it was since the top of the coral was closer to the light previously.

11. grinder37

Lets re-phrase that,they like heavy current,not straight line blasted with a powerhead,so possibly to much direct flow?

12. grinder37

Because the base is extended and leaning over (could just be sloughing again also),we can't see the whole tank to get an idea of it's location.