ID help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mdbostwick, May 31, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not sure about that. We all know carbon can trigger bacterial imbalances which is basically what you are seeing in the form of ugliness.I had a multitude of snotty/slime like bacterias/algaes form in my tanks over the years.I could never get completely rid of it but it ONLY remained(and started) on the black plastic overflow . I always wondered if bio plastics are almost identical to the plastics used to make forks lol why wouldn't some other plastics react in some way to sw?Even on my present cube there is some kinda snot on my plastic inlet pipe.No where else in the tank.I sure hope someone smart knows.
    :cool:

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Parameters
    cal 445
    Alk 192
    Mag 1350
    Nitrate .1
    Phosphate 0

Pocillipora no extension with this junk on it.
    20150601_184118.jpg

4. mdbostwick

5. mdbostwick

20150601_184128.jpg This one seems to collect it. I completely brushed this off yesterday and it took no time to get back to this.

Sorry for multiple posts. My phone would only upload one photo per post.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yeah that looks like Dino to me.

Personally I do not do water changes when I am dealing with Dino. As I stated I cut back on dosing of amino acids or small particle sps food. In the past I have done a complete black out of 4 days. Now I just up mag and pH and adjust dosing, I am basically able to keep it under control until it burns it self out again.

It will kill your corals and sometimes your snails.

Check your pH a couple times, same time of day each time.

7. mdbostwick

Does it kill coral by hanging on them the way it is? If so, what is the best method to remove it? Turkey basting it off doesn't seem to help for long and lightly brushing it didn't either, how often should i clean it off?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

I manually cleaned my rocks and corals at least once a day when dealing with Dino. Then I would let everything settle out and then I would clean the mechanical filtration.

mdbostwick and zesty like this.
  10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I think you're right, basically. It's using the coral to get up into the water/light/nutrient area. This a**clown of an algae has spent the last few million years or so figuring this out... He said, "Crap, why grow down there in the dark, when that big old coral up there is getting my goods!". A true pirate of the sea. gaaaaaaaarrrr

That's how I see it, it's based off of nothing but watching bbc documentaries at night. :p
    There is a good one with a couple good ocean life episodes, it's called "Life" and it's on Netflix. I don't do cable.

mdbostwick likes this.
  11. Corailline

I manually cleaned my rocks and corals at least once a day when dealing with Dino. Then I would let everything settle out and then I would clean the mechanical filtration.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

The other thing that I've read, a bit more recently, about is the H2O2 dosing.

I've dosed H2O2 after a friend suggested it when we were talking dinos. He instructed me to dose 1ml/10g directly into my skimmer air intake (the muffler).
    I of course, skeptical of anything new and not heard of, I started reading. It's been around, but it's something that I wouldn't just recommend haphazardly starting without reading more about it. At least more than my post! :D It's been discussed by many including Randy-Holmes-Farley for one right off the top of my head. He doesn't recommend tank dosing H2O2... (AFAIK) but it's nice to see the data behind it.

I started to dose, using 3% hyd peroxide I got a walgreens. I started out less than the recommended dosage. I dosed about 1-2mm (total) every other day but I started to raise that and then after the dinos went away I dropped the dosage back down.

It is an oxidizer and used in a dip will slaughter some algae! When used in a tank.... one must understand what an oxidizer is doing. By definition an oxidizer is changing its compound by reducing another compound.
    So, this could be why it's best to dose directly into the skimmer? Breaks down in the skimmer and removed via collection cup?

but if it's changing the compound of algae, what else is it doing? reducing O2?

Also noted from some other locals that were also dosing, no more pods. This was noticed by many, however, I still see pods in my sump. Was it dosing via the skimmer? Was it the reduced dosage? Was it because I traded rocks/cheato from my other system at some point? I don't know...

Here's a good link that covers quite a bit. it's the last section on this page

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#hydrogen_peroxide

I put a lot of question marks. This is because I do not know if it helped or hurt my tank. Did I personally think it helped with my own dino situation? Maybe, but I would lean more towards probably.
    - I say this only because when I started getting desperate, I would start to think about crazy ideas and read up on stuff that didn't even make sense. But, just by taking the time to google the product or whatever process you are thinking of, you may have already taken your mind off of the "problem". Or think of something else that you had forgotten about... That may have just been long enough to catch your breath and focus on what your are putting into your tank vs what is already in there. Not "vs dinos", I seem to get tunnel vision when I have problems.
    That is where I had to stop myself, I still need to remind myself to slow down. I've gotten a lot better about taking my time and trying to research as much as I can and collect as much data from my end as I can. It's still not perfect, but I've gotten better at the slow down approach.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015