Ick!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by rconley, Jul 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rconley

rconley Astrea Snail

My fish have ick and I noticed it just now and I don't have any thing to cure it tonight so what should I do

2. Click Here!

3. captscott

captscott Astrea Snail

a little more info on your system, the symptoms, your water parameters, and livestock would be helpful in order to offer best assistance.

4. rconley

rconley Astrea Snail

Ok I have a coral beauty, clown, Niger trigger, yellow tang and a pacific blue tang, coral banded shrimp, 16 hermit crabs. Water temp 78 degree, ph 8.2, nitrite 0ppm, ammonia .025 ppm, really high like 4ò ppm, specific gravity 1.23 I just added the yellow and the blue pacific tangs yesterday. Any thing else sorry for not having it available

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

how long has this tank been set up? i am assuming that your nitrites are at 40. This along with your ammonia leads me to believe that this tank hasn't cycled. your fish are stressed and this is the reason that ich has taken hold.

6. rconley

rconley Astrea Snail

4 months only had fish 3 months

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

you need to get rid of the ammonia and nitrites. perhaps a 25% water change will help for the short term. However, you need to find the cause and eliminate for the long term. you might need a larger clean up crew. you can go to reefcleaners.org and see what they suggest for your tank. also, you might cut back on your feeding.

8. Click Here!

9. rconley

rconley Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help Should I do one like right now or mix it up and do it tomorrow when. O get off work

10. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

if you are showing ammonia, i would do it now. just make sure that the temp and salinity are close to what is in your tank. by the way, i am assuming that your salinity is 1.023 instead of 1.23. :) just remember that even if the water change helps your parameters, the problem will just return if the root cause isn't addressed. hopefully other more experienced folks will read this thread in the morning and have some more suggestions.

11. rconley

rconley Astrea Snail

Ok and thanks again but if I fix the water problem will it get rid of the ick

12. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Raise the teperature to 81. It will hurry up the life cycle of the ick and kind of like burn it away. IMO it works.... for me atleast