Ick

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Stephenie4578, Jul 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stephenie4578

Stephenie4578 Plankton

It is a fresh water tank, and it is 30 gallons. We have seven plastic plants and about 5 different arachnis plants. I also have 2 banana plants. All of my real plants are growing and sprouting new parts. As for my fish I have 5 fancy fin tetras, 5 red fin tetras, 2 neon tetras, 2 dwarf guarmies, 2 ghost shrimp, and 5 platys. But today i lost my guarmie that had the ick the worst. The fancy fin tetras are the ones that have ragged fins, and they havent gotten any signs of ick yet. However, i lost 5 neon tetras, and all of them had ragged fins and tails, and ick. I am getting the copper based treatment today, and i will ask about the ghost shrimp when i buy it. I am a beginner and i really dont know much about this stuff. All i know is what my brother has told me. Thank you all.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Your gohst shrimp will probably not survive the copper treatment, but yes check with your LFS.

4. Bugsy

Bugsy Plankton

Hi, I do know that this is a freshwater tank you are talking about. You don't seem to have to many fish in there but certainly do not add anything more until you get this under control.

I absolutley swear by "Aquarisol" is also treats velvet disease, sluggishness along with the ich. If you have not done a small water change I would hight recommend that you do that before adding another ich medication in there. Also one thing I did forget to mention is that you must remove any kind of charcoal medium you have in your filter. If you do not it will just filter out all the meds you have put in there.

What type of filter do you have on your tank?
    Did you remove the charcoal?

Ich is frusterating I now, the fish that have died were more than likley so sick you might not have been able to save them anyways.

Let me know about the two above quesitons.

Bugsy

5. Stephenie4578

Stephenie4578 Plankton

The filter i have is a whisper filter, the kind that suck up water and it flows back out like a waterfall, sorry i dont know the name, I havnt had a charcoal filter since i began treating the tank. I did a water change the first four or five times i added the ick treatment. Someone told me to change it every time i add the ick guard. But i got strapped for time and stopped doing it. I changed it about 3 days ago the last time. My water temp is between 80 and 82. Thank you again for all your help. I am amazed at how much help you guys have given me in such a short time. Thank you. My sister in law says my filter may be called a biological filter. Just a guess.

6. Stephenie4578

Stephenie4578 Plankton

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. My tank is finally doing better. I used the Quick Cure, and since my guarmie died that had ick the worst my tank has been ick free. Thank you again for all your help.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Glad to here it Stephanie ;D 8) good luck ;) :D ;D ............... John