ICK!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Midnight_Madman, Dec 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Thanks.. I started the pepper RX-P stuff.. but now the 3 yellow tangs have it bad.. and the Angelfish died. I am really bummed out.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmmmm, I am guessing you did not QT? Bummer. :-/

Can you pull the tangs and treat with a stronger med? I don't know all that much about ick but it seems you are going to have some problems....

I would pull all the fish and put them in a QT tank and let the display tank be without fish for the lifecycle of the parasite, to be sure it's totally gone.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Midnight Madman I don't know about that Pepper RX-p stuff I just looked it up and it is made by Kent Marine witch is usually, well so so stuff IMO. The ingredients are
    Deionized water, natural plant extracts, pepper,
    stabilized vitamin c, stabilizers.

I just don't see what could be in it that could be of help but I do see merit to the Garlic treatment.

I have read not to treat a Tang with Copper as They have a more delicate system than many other fish, and copper may do intestinal damage to Tangs. I may be wrong on this so if anybody wants to conferm this or correct me feel free.
    If you can remove him to a hospital tank, and then he can be treated with hyposalinity and feed him with garlic soaked food.

5. Midnight_Madman

Well. I lost 2 tangs and 1 left. I am treating him now in a copper/formadhide quarentine tank. I am not sure how long to leave him in there. What I set up is 2 buckets with water from the tank. 1 has the medication and the other doesnt. I had him in the medicated bucket for a couple hours and now he is in the unmed. bucket. I just dont know how long I should do this for. I also gave him a stronger dip for about 30 sec. in another container. I dont see any more ick on him... and am wondering if it would be better for him to be in the main tank or not.. I hope these buckets dont stress him into death.

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I would just fallow the directions on the bottle of copper treatment you have purchased

This is from one of the links I sent you
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.htm

Copper & Formalin:
    It is possible and sometimes preferable, like in the case of heavy infestations of Cryptocaryon irritans and Amyloodinium sp., to use copper in conjunction with Formalin in a quarantine/hospital tank. The same warnings about sensitive fish still apply. If a fish is sensitive to either copper or Formalin, they are not safely exposed to the combined protocol. At this point, it is "cure or kill." You will either cure your fish or kill it from poisoning. It is the most aggressive and dangerous treatment described in this article.

PS here is an interesting article on Formalin

http://www.ecu.edu/oehs/HazWaste/formalin.htm

7. Midnight_Madman

The bottle doesnt have any info about time periods.. just says use 1 drop per gallon.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

This is from the link below I hope it helps

http://www.petsforum.com/novalek/kpd37.htm

SUGGESTED TREATMENT PROCEDURES
    The following procedures are suggested for marine fishes. A copper test kit is necessary to monitor copper in the water in order to assure the proper therapeutic dosage for the successful control of the parasites. In addition, the treatment period must continue for not less than 10 days. The life cycles of the parasites vary with environmental conditions, especially temperature and salinity, hence the requirement for the specific treatment period. Aquariums treated for less than 10 days may experience a reinfection. All newly acquired marine fishes should be treated as indicated in a separate quarantine tank before introduction to an established aquarium.

Prevention or treatment of Oodinium ocellatum and/or Cryptocaryon irritants:
    (a) Transfer all invertebrates to another holding tank.
    (b) Calculate the actual volume of water to be treated, taking into consideration the displacement of water by gravel, rock, coral, etc.
    (c) Add 1 teaspoon of Chelated Copper solution per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 0.25 ppm.
    (d) Add subsequent doses only as necessary to bring the concentration up to the initial concentration. A test kit is required to monitor the copper level. For example, if after performing a subsequent copper test, a result of 0.125 ppm is obtained, in the tank for which the volume is 10 gallons, you would add 1/2 teaspoon of Kordon's Chelated Copper solution. This addition would bring the concentration level back to 0.25 ppm. Note: The minimum copper ion concentration recommended for treatment is 0.25 ppm. In some parasitic infestations, it may be necessary to increase the copper concentration beyond the minimum dosage. Further additions should be made in increments of 0.25 ppm. For example, if an aquarium is treated with the minimum dosage of 0.25 ppm, and within 24 hours an improvement in the fishes condition is not observed, additional copper solution should be added to increase the concentration to 0.50 ppm. Chelated Copper may be used up to 2.0 ppm maximum, if required. However, caution should be exercised (see Toxicity) when using concentrations higher than 0.25 ppm.
    (e) At the conclusion of the treatment period, make a partial water change of up to 50% in order to remove any excess copper. Additional changes may be necessary. Add NovAqua®. Continue to monitor the copper level. Invertebrates should not be returned to the tank until the copper concentration is below a level that is toxic to invertebrates.

All though I would definitely not add copper to your display tank weather you remove the inverts or not as copper will be absorbed into your rock and gravel and will slowly leach out into your tank and in turn kill your inverts

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

11. Midnight_Madman

Well. The tang has now passed away. I am hoping the main tank is ok.. I dont see ANY signs of it on the others yet. . I just hooked up my sterilizer again.. I heard they help with ick a lot. Lets hope for the best.

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

The best of luck and sorry to here about another loss for you. :'( Karma to you for your loss :(............ John