ick please help

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by misfitsghost, Sep 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. misfitsghost

misfitsghost Plankton

ok i recently bought a new porcupine puffer, a niger trigger and a feather duster (about a week ago) and i am pretty sure one of them had ick vefore i bought them but didnt notice until now. I have never had ick before. I have a hammer coral, a blue tuxedo urchin, a sand sifter star, two feather dusters, an undalted trigger, a sargassum angler, a maroon and gold clown and an emerald crab, i also have a few cromis and yellow tail damsels as feeders. Only the puffer and clown are showing signs of ick, i have removed the coral and all inverts into another tank. i have started lowering the salinty to help battle the ick. My question is Does garlic really help or is it a myth and how long does it take to rid my tank of ick?

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

garlic helps keep the fish eating wich in turn help them fight dieases. I think the full life cycle of ich is two months.

4. misfitsghost

misfitsghost Plankton

so should i drop bits of garlic in the tank or soak my silversides and shrimp in garlic? how would i go about doing that?

5. Mindyv82

Mindyv82 Astrea Snail

I've never tried garlic for treatment of ick but have found removing my fish to qt tank and using coppersafe for a month has cleared it right up. I have tried lowering the salinity, formalin baths (do not recommend), and melafix (though I can't remember if I tried this for ick or injury, I didn't like it in either case), and none seemed to work for me. Good luck, and I hope the garlic does the trick for you :)