Ick on lr?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Dingo, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I left the "family" tank under the supervision of my mom and dad while away at school. I've been gone a week and apparently my (our) hippo tang has ick already! Ughhhh. But my mom swears that the ick is growing on the coraline on the live rock? I told her that I don't think the parasite can host algae but she insists... Ever heard of this?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ich goes through a phase when it is in your sand and LR but it will be invisible in that stage. The spots could be featherduster worms, random bits of sand, coralline bleaching or being eaten, etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

in its dormant stage the eggs dropped by the first host could get lodged in live rock, but mostly they get "planted" in the sand bed. but no, ich cant host algae.

~Will.

2 people like this.
  5. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

If they do lay eggs in the rock and sand bed, What can you do to have ick free tank? Or are you doomed

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Take fish out of you tank for a period of 8 weeks,

Heres my take on ich,

ich is like a bad cold to a human. A healthy human left to be and rest will make it thru with no problems. Im a firm believer in this with saltwater fish as well, a healthy fish will make it thru all stages of ich.

When my fish get ich(havent in the 180, knock on wood) i leave them be and as long as they are eating, i dont take apart my whole tank and stress out the entire system and cause those stresssed out fish to get ich.

Just my .02

Others will always take the fish out and theres nothing wrong with that as well

1 person likes this.
  7. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

but how do you get rid of the eggs that might be in sand bed or on the rocks?
    If you let them be, and they eat healthy and swims fine. Should you be concerend taking out the fish? And will the ick just go away on its own by later time?

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Some people leave ich in their systems with varying degrees of success. as long as your fish are healthy and have strong immune systems then they can fend off the ich on their own. But if one gets sick, over bullied, or just dies for whatever reason the ich might then become a larger problem.

I personally did not want to take that rist, and when i got ich my DT went fallow for 6 weeks, and my remaining fish went into QT for the duration.

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

If you have any nerite snails in your tank I would guess shes seeing there eggs.