Ick cycle and hypo

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by pavelow360, Oct 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what was the SG at? In order for it to be effective it needs to be way, way down like below 1.012. Also dont use medicines like copper or melafix with hypo.......causes too much stress.

What was your ammonia at? Ammonia at any level is toxic especially to fish stressed with ich, hypo and medicated. Why was there ammonia in the tank? What type of filtration were you using and how frequent water changes were being done.

Also what type of water stabelizer where you using. Like prime will bind the ammonia but if not removed by another water change will release it back into the system in a couple days

Sorry for the loss.......however if this is the second ich outbreak then there is something going on in your tank leading to the stress and needs to be taking care of, like ammonia or something.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

When I did mine I used no chemicals at all, took the sg to 1.09 for 4 weeks, with 25% water change 3xs a day. 1 when I got home from work, b4 I went to sleep, and when I woke up just to keep the ammonia out as much as possible. Granted it was only a 10 gal hospital tank

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

What was your SG at? Hyposalinity only works when it is between 1.009-1.010.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

How often we you performing water changes?

I just finished using a round of Crypto Pro. It just complteted, so I don't have an opinion yet. The fish seemed unaffected by the treatment, so I think I going to use it sa prophayltic treatment on all the fish going into the 210g.

6. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

7. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Most effective at the extreme end of the range, so 1.009-1.010 is better.:)
    I guess I should have said "works best" rather than "only works".

8. Click Here!

9. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

I hear once it hits the gills its pretty much over. Normally you'd see sign on the outer body before.

10. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

You can still rid the fish of Ich at that point nad have it live. But your right, you have to catch it when it does hit the gills, the longer it stays there, the less likely of recovery.