ich?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by ness.xo, Nov 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ness.xo

ness.xo Plankton

my blue tang had the ich first, the man at the fish store told me it is common for these fish to get it. now my damselfish has died and the blue tang looks like it doesnt have much time left, it can barely swim. my clownfish seems to be fine (but does have ich) but im thinking he is next. all my corals are perfectly fine. i have been treating the ich with "ich attack" a coral safe medicine. is there anything else i can do?
    do i have to start over?

2. Click Here!

3. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

Do you have a QT tank with copper docing in it. My guess is that you should treat the tank and clown with copper and a clean water supply.

Do a large water change on the DT tank as well.

I am not as experienced as many people on here and one of them will chime in soon.

good luck

4. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

You probably shouldn't be dosing the whole tank even if they say its "reef safe" you should have a QT to avoid trouble down the line.

5. ness.xo

ness.xo Plankton

ive done many water changes.

and because ive been treating the whole tank i have to wait and start over?

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

What do you mean by waiting and starting over? With another medicinal regimine?
    Ich attack works fairly well, I've used it personally on a purple tang at home and it worked well, but I've also tried it here at the store and noticed ick can eventually become "immune" to it per se. Plus, I personally don't care for the brown tank water it creates.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

IMO there are 3 ways to deal with ich.
    1- Don't get it. Stable water conditions will help. Keep a healthy stable environment.
    2- Let nature take it's course. Depending on how well you follow #1, it should be a cakewalk. If you do get it and need to treat. Refer to #1. If you think #1 is rediculous refer to #3.
    3- A hospital tank. Easy to set-up, maintain, medicate and, put away.
    Either way, I would recommend "not" doing an iodine dip. Or, any dip for that matter.