ich !!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by gully95, May 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gully95

gully95 Plankton

i have a 220 gallon fo that has ich i am going to treat the main tank with copper because there are no inverts in the tank and never will be. i have a puffer fish in there along with some angels and triggers and i herd that puffers don't like copper should i still do it or try another medication? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. zeo

zeo Bristle Worm

try low sg method i think it's much better than cooper

4. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

Puffers do just fine. I would use the copper. Hypo salinity is better at killing fish than ich. Buy a test kit for the copper and keep it at the proper levels. I usually add half a dose and test the copper levels, then add a little more, then test. You should test your copper every day. Once the copper stays at the appropriate level for two weeks, your tank should be ich(and other parasite) free.

Every time I try hypo salinity I kill fish. Copper works like a charm and kills many other parasites other than ich. It is the only true cure. Do some googling and you will find many more cases of death/ich coming back with hypo salinity.

Most people recommend quarantine, but since it is a fish only tank, just treat the whole tank for two weeks and then let the copper gradually dilute with water changes.

It won't hurt your bio filter either, like many misinformed people claim, my lfs keeps copper in all of their fish only tanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  5. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I've used Dr. G's anti-parisitic. It's work well for me both times, no fatalities.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Just had an issue myself. Kordons Rid ich worked for me.