ich?? yellow headed goby needs help!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by nyvw, Feb 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

You should be able to get it at your LFS. Kent makes a concentrated garlic extract. Its a little pricey but last quite a while.

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

there is no real evidence that raising the temp on a tank stresses fish, it may stress coral to a degree but not fish if raised slowly, ick loves cold water it thrives in cold water, its life cycle is shorter in warmer temps, food and warm temps can beat ick and lower sal can help also i agree with the post above if you don't have a qt running and ready all the time this is the way to go.:)

4. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Yea im going to see what happens, i bought everything for a small qt tank im going to keep running for now on.. im not taking anymore chances lol. So far hes still looking the same, nothing has spread so well see what happens. What are some ways i can ween him onto frozen or other foods? I was thinking about putting him in the qt tank once its running and trying to get him to feed in prepared foods

5. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

if he's still alive by the time a qt has cycled and aged enough to hold life i believe he will make it anyway now i have fish that eat like its there last meal this i believe is the way to get fish not eating to eat i believe they cause a feeding frenzy and the others follow, if you have such fish you shoud feed them several times a day in small amounts to get the shy fish to follow suit i hope this helps i hate to have fish and coral deaths it upsets me greatly so good luck.

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

I have had an ich outbreak and I can tell you this...it freaked me out completely!!! this said take solace in what im about to tell you and keep in mind this is my personal experience with my relatively "hardy" fish.
    I too, once seen the ich thought of running the gun and getting a QT tank...... but i didnt (though this remains a good idea, better safe than sorry) what i did do, was raise the temp slowly to 28 °c (keep in mind the oxygen level of the water, especially at night will be lower so an air stone could be a good idea) and let the tank run at this temp for about a week a week and a half (if i remember correctly).
    ich was visibly gone, now this does not mean that its gone all together from your tank, far from it! it lives in your substrate waiting to attack a weak fish, but as long as the fish is healthy and most importantly NOT STRESSED it can live with ich present in the tank and never get it. this has been my case, havent seen another ich outbreak in months.
    this said i have been feeding my fish chopped up marine fish with a bit of garlic ever since, is this the miracle cure for ich? does it really boost the immune system of fish? as far as i know there is NO scientific evidence of this....but I do it non the less....
    Personally, though ich remains a potentially lethal parasite (and clearly depending on what species you own as some are more delicate than others) i feel there is a lot of tantrum around it, scaring folks to buy this and that to get rid of the demon. in many cases doing more damage than good, as some treatments are copper based and lethal for inverts

dont over stock, keep up with your water changes, make your fish fat and happy and ich will never be an issue. but again this was my personal experience.

my fish:

2 true percula
    1 diamond goby
    2 yellow tale blue damsels
    1 6 liner
    1 mandarin
    1 blue spot puffer

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

If he seems like hes getting better im just going to return everything.. i havent opened any of it yet. Im hoping i can get him to eat

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Great news. Keep us updated. See if you can find the nutramar ova frozen food. Apparently that is what Diver's Den uses to get fish to eat. You can try lying a jar on its side and placing food in there, the goby can go in and eat in piece if he wants.

10. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

good idea ill have to give that a try

11. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I think hes getting worse... Saw him swimmming around today and he was scraping along the sand almost like he was trying to scratch an itch.. :(

12. rsjakp

rsjakp Bristle Worm

The pictures you posted dont look good. The fishes stomach is really distended. If your tank is new there may not have been enough of a pod population to support him. I have had the same fish and could not get him to eat. I did a lot of research and they are hard to get to eat anything but live food. I chose to go with a banded goby and he does the same thing as the yellow head but eats a lot of other prepared meals as well. Good luck with him.