ich?? yellow headed goby needs help!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by nyvw, Feb 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

yea its a month running.. i can see tonsss of the little guys scooting around but i have a pod supplement on its way

2. Click Here!

3. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

i hope i didnt jump the gun tooo badly on his purchase but ive always wanted one of those guys

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

He'll wipe a tank out that size pretty quick, keep your eye on him. This is by no means a death sentence for him. Just be ready to act if he takes a turn for the worst. Maybe look into a temp hospital tank just in case, but don't move him unless his condition deteriorates.

5. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the help ill keep you guys updated Im going to buy a 10g today and get it running

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Check craigslist for cheap tank, no point in tying up too much cash in a hospital tank ;).

7. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

yea theres a lfs about 10 min away that has a $1/g sale goin on. its great i have 6 lfs's within 1/2 hour lol.. Is just a hob filter good enough for a hospital tank? and a peice of pvc tossed in?

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Yeah that'll work, toss the filters from the HOB in your current tank and they will colonize with bacteria and speed up the cycle. You won't have time to cycle the tank if he takes a turn, I'd look into some bacteria in a bottle, like microbacter 7 or Dr. Tim's one and only.

Best of luck and let us know how you make out.

10. bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976 Banned

I guess Im against the norm on the entire thoughts of ick and its just from personal experience.

My first tank was a 24 gallon bio. I had a coral beauty and a clown and a super small blue hippo in there (dont start tang bashing me we had a bigger tank it was going into) It started with the tang, then the coral beauty within 3 days all fish had it. I set up a 30 gal qt and did everything that I was told, had the pvc , good filtration, dossed with copper, did water changes every other day. I did the QT to the book. Left them in there for almost 2 months because I was told the normal lifespan of ick is 8 weeks. I drip acculmated them and put them back into the tank within a week they all had it again and within another week all dead.

This is what I have learned. (a lil different in your situation bc your fish is relativaly new). Feed the heck out of your fish, make them fat , make them healthy, make them happy. I had a ick outbreak in my 65 gallon my 2 clowns, tomeni tang, flame angel and another fish all had it and I followed this rule , I double fed the fish daily in food soaked with garlic. Over the period of a week i raised the tempature by 4 degreese and did nothing else. After a couple weeks the fish started to look better another 2 weeks later and they were all healthy. I still have all these fish and they are all healthy. I feel the stress of moving them out of their home, throwing them into a new tank with the addition of copper and the constant waterchanges and such then putting them back into your dt just makes the stress worse and stressed fish do not get healthy.

Just my 2 cents.

11. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Is there a garlic solution i can buy? Ive never soaked food in garlic before im not exactly sure what to do.. is it jsut like putting the food in some water with garlic?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

You should be able to find garlic and selcon (both of which would help) at the lfs, but if he's not eating at all it won't help.