Ich-y Situation caused by my stupidity

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Mobalized, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

Sooo I made a stupid decision with the new 90g. It had 2 clowns which came out of my other tank. Decided I wanted a blue eyed tang at the LFS 2 weeks ago, they held it. Looked like it was in great condition. I had planned to qt but my qt is only a 10g so I ended up putting the fish in the 90 thinking that it would be more stress in the 10g and I had not seen any disease so hoped for the best knowing it was the wrong thing to do. About 2 hours after the fish went in I noticed a couple spots. After a total of about 5 hours i pulled the fish out and put into qt. Do you think it was too late in terms of infesting the 90 with ich? More concerned about passing the ich on to the clowns at the moment.

2. Click Here!

3. nedim

nedim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Your clowns probably won't get ich. They are very hardy. When my tang had ich I didnt take it out and the clowns were / and still are healthy. Good luck!

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Ich is always going to be in the tank unless you go fallow for about 8 to 10 weeks. Pulling the fish out and putting him in the qt might stress him more so that would be my only concern.

5. Mobalized

I definitely figured it would be more stressful but my hope was that little or no ich parasites had gone into their stage of falling off the fish to the substrate. Are there any chance this is the case? And if only 1 or 2 fall off, reproduce but cannot find a host because of low population density could the tank remain sterile?

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You may have caught it in time. You acted swiftly. I wouldn't be adding any new fish for a while though :)

7. Mobalized

I know that the chances are slim that no parasite came off. But I have hope that I did get lucky. If the clowns do not get infected, then the small amount of free swimmering ich parasites will not be able to attach and therefor die. Obviously that would have to happen for a few weeks. But I will keep a close eye on them and if I see a infection I will pull them as well. Definitely no fish until the clowns show no signs for a few weeks and the tang is ich free.

8. Click Here!

9. Mobalized

The tang has been in qt for a couple days now. I have noticed she also has some black dots on her body and finds. I would like to treat with prazipro (hoping it will take care of black ich or other external parasites). I am wondering what the best course of action is. Whether to do a prazipro dip and put her back into the qt tank with cupramine, or wait till copper treatment is over and then treat her with prazi?

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I would let the cupramine run it's coarse, it will kill most all parasites. Catching the fish and dipping it, is only going to cause more stress.