ICH...Ughhh

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by BaxterS80, Mar 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Ok, here is the situation...One of our tanks is a Aquapod 24 and we detected an outbreak of Ich. I removed all of the LR and left in a few pieces of base rock. I also took out most of the sand from the tank. I am storing the live rock and sand in a large bucket with sw and aeration...We are using Coppersafe to treat the tank.

Questions...
    Once I have completed the treatment should I remove the rest of the sand and base rock before re-introducing the LR/LS?

Will the LR and LS be ok in the bucket with aeration for the 6 weeks that I will be treating the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

May be a stupid question but is there copper in Coppersafe?

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Why not use a simple, temporary QT set-up? Instead of quarantine for your sand and LR, quarantine the fish. While ich is a nightmare, copper is even worse. I don't like adding chemicals to my tank even if they say that they are reef safe.

5. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

The silicone seals in your tank are going to soak up that copper (if there is any) and leach it back into your tank over time... :cry:

I've had really good luck with vitiman C tablets, garlic, and this
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~Vitamin C~action~view~idProduct~KM3293~idCategory~FIADTECS~category~Kent_Marine_Zoe_Marine_Vitamin_8_oz._Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives_Trace_Elements_Vitamin_Coral_Supplements~vendor~.html

Ich isn't the end of the world like most people think it is. If your fish are healthy then they should be able to fight it off like a common cold...

6. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I would soak the food in Seachem garlic guard and feed it for a week or two. Garlic is said to boost the fishes ammune system and can also kill intestinal worms. If the fish are strong the ich cannot take root. And if they don't find a host within 24 hrs (is that right?) they die.

Hope this helps.

7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Well Ich has a life cycle of 30 days so to kill them all you'd have to deprive them of a host for the entire life cycle. (you never know where they're at in the life cycle) Almost impossible without removing fish from the tank.

We can only see ich for one week of this cycle if memory serves me correctly. :smokin::afro::stupid:

If I were you I'd QT the fish for no less than 30 days and to be safe I'd do it for more like 45 days.

If the meds you're using contain copper don't put any more in the tank. Might want to get some copper sponges if that's the case...

8. Click Here!

9. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I could have sworn that I read that if there is no visible ich that means they are on the bottom of the tank to reproduce. And if they swimmers don't find a host they die fairly quickly. I may be wrong but the lifecycle is only 4 or 5 days? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. lol

10. BaxterS80

Hey Amcarrig, yes Coppersafe does contain chelated copper.

Since I have already used the coppersafe in the tank I am hoping the two questions I asked could be answered. 8)

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

No clue man, but I wish you luck!!!!!

12. BaxterS80

thank you, baugherb