Ich treatment started!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Ryland, Jan 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I got this beautiful Yellow Tang a few days ago and put him in a qt. Within two days he was covered in ich. As of today I have dosed the 20 gallon qt with the recommended dosage of Cupramine over three days. However, when i test the copper level with the Seachem test kit it barely registers any copper in the system. This tank has never seen copper before so I wonder if it has something to do with it.?? :confused: need some help as I do not want to overdose! I also tried the referrence test and it registers fine.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Do you have anything in the tank that can absorb the copper, live rock, etc?

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Bare bottom 20 gallon. Only a sponge filter with an airstone and some pvc pieces for hiding places.

6. barbianj

Possibly you are slightly off on the water volume/dosage amount. Just keep adding Cupramine at the same rate until you reach the level you want. I think it's .5? Better slow and safe.

How is the tang doing now?

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am only adding 8 drops at a time. I have heard its easier to add ML instead of drops. Might have to try that next time. The Seachem test kit is a pain in the arse to use. Too hard to read from what I have seen. Redsea test kit ordered. .5 is what I am shooting for. My Tang has been doing fine. He was eating from day 1, just covered in ich. Eats anything and everything I throw at him. Very active and has even started coming to the front of the tank when I come in the room.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

I had more confidence with the Seachem test kit with the reference. I also have the Red Sea, but still use the Seachem.