Ich question i can't find an answer too!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by cosmo, Dec 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ok! So after battling keeping my tang alive, i decided to start a QT set up! Mike, I'm still skeptical about keeping it out of my tank due to adding inverts/chaeto etc, but it's worth a shot! Gonna upgrade to a 125g or so in the spring! Corals need room to grow!lol! When I do, I'll use this tank to treat the fish to rid them of ich, and hopefully keep it out of my DT! Unfortunately my tang lost his appetite and I have him in a hospital tank with meds now! He has a bump on his eye!

BTW, my hospital tank is 14 gallon rubbermaid container with a heater and airstone! I'm looking for a 20 gallon for the future but figure this will work!

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Watch your ammonia. Bump on his eye?

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The Ich appears, disappears and reappears again. This is a part fo the natural cycle. They will be back.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Wait... page two..... missed that.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

thanks, ammonia is nill, He had ich covering his eye! Think it prob got scratched!

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ok put the tang and flame angel in the hospital tank after they stopped eating! The poor Flame angel died ASAP! I treated the tang for 5 days using instant Ocean Lifegard! He's back in the DT! I'm treating the tank with herbtana, and using some garlic soaked food! The clown and chromis showed signs of ich for a few days, but have cleared up and continued eating! Was scared for the clown for a few days, but the last few days they seem as happy as ever! i know ich is now in my tank, so I'm gonna keep stocking as is! The tang's eye seems to be heeling, he's eating like a champ again! Took care of the little bit of hair algae that had grown asap! his color is back and he seems as eager as ever! Crossing my fingers!

Not sure how much the herbtana helped, but it seems to not hurt anything and the fish definitely have increased appetites! The clowns ich cleared up within 36 hours! I know they still have it, and i'll prob battle it again, but for the small price herbtana costs, I'd say it helped at least keep them eating to keep their immunity up!

8. Click Here!

9. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

Hi, I have the same problem about 6 months ago and unfortunately ich got the best of all my 7 fish! =( ... So I let the tank sit for good 12 weeks before I start putting fish aback in again. Things seem very good with first 6 fish ( 2 Clown, 2 black Clown, 1 6 Line wrasse, 1 fire goby) for good 2 months until a month ago I decided to get the hippo tang again......now two days later the tang got the ich!!! from what I read if you left the tank with no fish for minimum 6weeks the ich will be gone?? I let the fish sit at the LFS for about a week before I get him in my tank. Because I don't have the QT.

It have been about little over a month now and the the hippo still doing ok. He is eating good but still some spot on him every now and then he will scratch..I did the hypo, raise the temp to 82, UV in the DT, and soak the food with garlic....no med. I also did the fresh water dip on him once, Because the ich got to his eyes and he doesn't look good. Tho his eating is still ok. In the process my colony of pulsing xcenia is gone! ( 6 Good size head ) =( So, I decided to start to put things back to normal....because the shrimps seem to be strsss out from hypo and high temp (They seem to stay still and don't move as much)

As of now, the hippo still got the ick on his fin but his color looks really good feed him with spectrum + frozen mysis soak in the garlic. None of the other fish in the tank seem to have any problem. Really like to get rid of this ick problem ....this really annoying just make me want to quit the hobby. =(

Aw, and I did get one blue stripe cleaning wrasse and it did the job well! still live after a week! The cleaning shrimp seem very lazy in my DT

10. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

And I change water every other week....LFS guys suggest once a week at 20% .... I have 65Gallons tank with 25Gallons sump... some time I did skip to 3 weeks...but I think I better keep up with water change =P

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Turbokimmees, it is frustrating! May i suggest reading up on feeding your fish garlic all the time it seems that can cause liver damage i believe! Frustrating i know, but maybe alternate it with regular food! i've read like a mad man on this! Here's my $.00000002 cents as I still have tons to learn!

The best things you can do to avoid ich outside of the QT thing(and your LFS prob has ich in their tanks so the 6 week thing for your tang prob didn't help)
    is alleviate stress and provide great food with vitamins and some garlic here and there! Plus i've read you need to leave your tank fallow for at least 8 weeks!

I'm not saying herbtana worked, but all but 1 of my fish made it, even though 3 maybe 4 were clearly infected, including my lil tiger(Nemo) had it bad! Herbtana is supposed to stimulate their immunity, increase appetite and increase their slime layer so the parasite can't get ahold! This "helps" the fish fight through the bout! I also used garlic and bought a wide variety of foods with selcon!

That being said hon! Do you have a 65g with "( 2 Clown, 2 black Clown, 1 6 Line wrasse, 1 fire goby) for good 2 months until a month ago I decided to get the hippo tang again"! A hippo doesn't belong in a 65 supposed to be in like a 200g, and you have 4 clowns? Are they mated? They could be very territorial! Ya got alot of stress possibilities in that tank! I'd suggest re thinking the tang! Maybe try a yellow at the most! I'd drop your bio load ASAP, or ya may be in for a never ending struggle especially as they grow!

Good luck to ya, but i fear with that load you're facing another battle sooner than later!