Ich question i can't find an answer too!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by cosmo, Dec 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ok, my flame angel has ick! But she'd still eating great doing good! Def itching though! So I ordered herbtana, garlic extract medicine and Oceans garlic falk food! Gonna go that route and hope! The other option is the QT with treatments, and leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks!

Here's my question! Even if you QT the fish, how do you not tranxfer Ich back the DT? How dow you get rid of every lil Ich in the gills fish, etc? When transferring the fish back to the DT, what are the odds you don't transfer the lil bugger back? It just seems the med's don't guarantee killing 100$ of the parasite! Am I wrong?

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

you cant get rid of it completely, thats why you should always QT your fish before introducing them, the ich parasite has eggs all over the tank and there is nothing you can do short of copper to cure that problem. I would do the herbtana treatment though cause the same thing happened in my display 3 months ago, and I havent had any out breaks since, but there is always going to be ich in my tank because of this.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, i'm an idiot too!lol! Had them hold the fish for 2 weeks with no signs of anything! Just was wndering if there;s any reason for a QT at this point! Thinking nope! My friend has a huge salt reef and says he has it too, just controls it with garlic! Let's hope i have the same luck!

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I would QT, its cheaper to treat a small tank vs a larger tank. but thats just my opinion. also garlic doesnt cure ich like people think, its more of a preventer of ich, garlic rich diets in fish help boost the immune system, so the fish is more likely to fight of the parasite on its own when its on a garlic rich diet for an extended period of time.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

But thats kinda my question! When you treat in QT, what are the odds you kill 100% of the parasite in the fish? in the water/sand etc? If you don't kill 100% what are the odds that doesn't get transferred back to the DT?

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

If you treat properly and for the right length of time, chances are really good that you will kill it all. If you don't, then chances of it getting back in your display are pretty high.

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
    Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

8. Click Here!

9. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

well the idea is to kill it off the fish to begin with ;)

But i see what you mean, theres nothing wrong with treating your DT, it could help kill some off the eggs as they hatch. ich is like the LICE of the salt water world. All the other kids think your gross lol. jk.

Treat your whole tank I noticed it was gone with herbtana in about a week, but it says to treat 10 days, if your trying to kill some hatching eggs, do a little extra maybe, 2 weeks? that might work

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  10. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

once in a while when I add new coral or just with water changes I dump some in there just for safe measures. it cant hurt right? ;)

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks for the reply! I honestly just don't see me viably being able to set up a big enough QT that i can sustain my fish with for 8 weeks! Wish i could! I'm just having a hard time believing that between the CUC's, live food, macro algae, fish, invert, etc purchases that you can keep it out of your tank! And I just don't see how, unless you QT absolutely everything for a long time with high levels of copper etc you cna keep it out of your tank! I mean, if you use a net to catch your 2 month QT'd fish, and then use that to transfer your fish, its on that! I understand that a very rigorous hypo/copper/formalin 8 week QT should work! But some people don't have the time or budget to reach that extent of precaution that seems necessary to keep it 100% out of your system! it just seems the odds are not in your favor, so just amke the situation as good as you can! i mean, how do you QT an order of chaeto?

And MIKE, so not a rant on you, just my frustration as to how to keep ICH out of your tank and not be lucky! I've enjoyed following your posts and strive to know 25% of what you know about this someday! And I know I should QT first! Just know that i've read alot of people that did and still got ich!

Thanks for the help!
    Ryan

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid