Ich outbreak

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Atticus818, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well this worked for me, dipped and right back into the main tank. i feel it helped to get the ich to drop off and gave the fish a fighting chance. the fish is alive and well and ich free now.

Atticus818 sorry for your loss

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'm speaking of science. When you take a bacteria and put in in a higher temperature, you make its life cycle move faster. Without copper/formalin/hypo, that absolutely, positively means you're bombarding your fish with another wave of ich every 2 weeks instead of every 3 weeks, which is obviously bad. Why do you think the old way of checking a streptococcus (strep throat) culture was to heat it up in an oven for 24 hours? Why do you think microalgae grows faster in warmer water?

Tangs, in particular are well known to be oxygen-intensive (and therefore sensitive) fish; keep that in mind for this next part.

Science also dictates that the oxygen saturation point of water is inversely related to temperature. For those not scientifically inclined, that means as temperature goes up, there's a lower cap on total oxygen dissolved in the water.

Raising the temperature is, therefore, a highly calculated risk that should not be taken lightly when treating ich. Yes, it is a risk. Adding copper/hypo/formalin and making sure oxygen levels are high with plenty of surface movement and/or airstones is essential to lowering the risk to the point where it makes sense to take it.

TL;DR: If you raise the temperature by 5 degrees, without doing anything else to the tank, the ich outbreak will be worse. Don't assume that everyone on a forum is a scientist - learn on your own, in pursuits not directly related to fishkeeping, and think for yourself.

None. But pull out 50%, and tell me there's no improvement. You could quite realistically pull out 90%, or more, if you're talking barebottom QT tank with just a couple pieces of PVC for hiding places on a 50% water change 2x weekly, which is not in any way insignificant. The point isn't to pull out "all" of the cysts; it's to pull out "some" of the cysts, which means less parasites that have the possibility of getting on your fish.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I am taking a step back from you and your red highlights as you know it all here. I am stepping back cheif. you have the floor to let us all know your treatment..... please show us the way..... im all ears and hearing you yeah it sped up the process by raising the temp further speeding up the diease and furthering it along faster master but you know it so please tell me how to understand you. I have 6 tnags with ich at one point but your science tells all. tell us the way yoda..... We all want to know your way.........Seriously laughing right now.... I have fought ich many times and you have never lost a fish have you......My tangs have been healthy for along time. Please show me the road.

6. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

by the way science says its life cycle is faster so its over faster thanks ..... its over faster. its a known fact. this has been discussed many times. I have had this tank over many years and what I speak of has worked. I speak of exp you speak of science.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Are we talking about increasing the temp in a display tank or a tank receiving treatment?

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Sorry about your inability to leave it be over, but please, don't attack personally. I'm no yoda, I'm not omnipotent. I just know you're wrong.

"It's life cycle is faster so it's over faster". Not unless you fish either gain some immunity, or there's something killing off the ich while it's not on the fish. Otherwise, You're saying "Instead of doubling the number of parasites every 3 weeks, double them every other week. Give the fish less time to develop said immunity, which will develop at the same rate regardless as to how many parasites are on the fish.". Not exactly a solid plan. From experience, and from science.

I think that mirandacolic is talking about temp increase regardless as to the presence copper/formalin/hypo, since I mentioned that as a requisite to use a temp raise effectively in both of my posts.

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Ok im all ears..... Please enlighten us. I have tried and true exp but according to you im wrong so I am listening......I have never had ich in my tanks. Heck I am a person that can listen when I am wrong. I mean I have 6 tangs that have had ich many times and a bunch of others that I have got rid of that had ich but am listining. I will give into you scientest even with fresh and salt water exp for many years im all ears. please tell us your info. I may be wrong and am listining just going on what I have seen over 4 years of reef keeping with many tangs including the 6 I have in my tank that many say you cant do.

11. blackraven1425

Go back and read my posts again if you're now willing to listen. I can only reiterate information so many times. Acquiring carpal tunnel syndrome via repetition is not my idea of fun on a saturday night.

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I am going back and reading. Its not my idea of fun on a sat night either..... I can admit fault and know im not always right. I am reading amd hoping to hear your openion. I have had good luck with what I learned but I wil listen to you also. I am reading.