Ich outbreak

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Atticus818, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fhabercrombie

fhabercrombie Fire Shrimp

You could try a fish trap, maybe your LFS has one. Mine did it was custom, but it literally took 5 mins after the fish got used to it being in the water, to go inside. It was really easy.

2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I posted a picture of him now, he looks pretty bad. I think treatment is a must at this point. Working on catching him, no one around here seems to have fish traps for sale, and they are like 60 bucks online after shipping.

[​IMG]

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Well, as of this afternoon, he passed on me. Was day 2 of treatment with "nox ich" saw him in the last moments and he was breathing insanely hard. I checked water params and everything checked out, so the stress + ich must have just been too much for him. Thank you again everyone for all of your advice and help.

5. fhabercrombie

fhabercrombie Fire Shrimp

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

grab the tang at night when its sleeping. i have found a 5 minute fresh water dip has helped the fish to get over ich, float the clear dip container in the tank so it can see its home, cuts on stress. this has worked for me with clown fish i dipped this fish twice... first dip on day one than waited one day and dipped again on the third day.... meds that say reef safe dont work so dont waste your money.

i also have a uv sterilizer running and feel it clears the water of free floating ich.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Wc wont do a thing towards ich. What you need to do is up the temp to 81 keep feeding over feeding if possible and keep the lights of longer then on. This will help the fish be more comfortable. Feed with garlic if possible as this will help its immune system. Ich is like a cold to fish and tangs are prone to it. I have 6 tangs in my tank and all but a few have had it a few times. It can be bad but if its a healthy fish it should be ok.

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

a fresh water dip will only help if you hav a qt to put it in after. if you put it back in the same tank the same parisites will cling back on. uv is not very good at treating ich. its more for algae. you need to slow the water way down to treat ich with a uv but its still not that great at treatment for it.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

WC CAN do something against ich, if you're siphoning the substrate. If you do that, you're pulling the cysts out of the water, never giving them a chance to burst and find a fish host. It also keeps water parameters stable and in check if you're using a QT tank, which helps the fish from being stressed.

You never up the temperature without doing either hyposalinity, copper or formalin treatment as well. Without one of those treatments, you're making ich go through its life cycle faster, and giving it MUCH MORE opportunity to hurt your fish. There needs to be something in place to actually KILL it while it's living faster. Also, higher temperatures mean less oxygen in the water, which means your fish will likely be less comfortable.

Garlic does nothing to actually help the fish directly. If the fish is trained to eat food soaked in garlic, it'll act as a sign to them that "IT'S TIME TO EAT!" and nothing more.

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Ok so I guess I know nothing including the 6 tangs in my tank that have all had ich other then the purple and I guess I never have seen ich ever. Almost all my fish have lived throug a case of ich so am I that wrong are you saying this trhough something you read of you exp first hand? I am speaking of my first hand exp.... You?

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Oh and what is the chances you actually pull all the cysts out of the tank increasing the fact that you eleminated ich? pretty slim.