Ich outbreak, Hypo started

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by fhabercrombie, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

You could just use a container as a qt. Lowe's has "christmas tree" ones that are 50 gallons and nice and wide and long for $20. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. geaux xman

geaux xman Astrea Snail

so what happened with the achilles?

4. fhabercrombie

fhabercrombie Fire Shrimp

They were transfered back to the display tank treated with selcon and vitamin c and they all got over it. The achillies is happy and healthy. I know the parasite is still in the tank but they have obtained an immunity and I have had added to the stock since with no ill effects or further outbreaks.

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Glad to hear that!

6. fhabercrombie

Thanks...He actually has grown quite a bit.

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I am glad you got through that. It is nice to hear about survivors.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I did hypo once....it didnt go well. I killed my angel. I have heard a lot of arguements for and against treating fish in a qt. I have used them with and without success. It seems almost impossible to get rid of ich in your tanks. Im glad to hear it worked out for you. I am going to qt my next fish and hope for the best. I am not going to use hypo though and instead I will use copper to be proactive instead of reactive even if there is no sign of ich. I am determined to keep ich out of my dt.

10. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

personally i dont think it matters if your QT is cycled or not in fact is is better not to be. when you drop salinity most of the bacteria will die or stop working. this is why qt has to be bare bottom and use some pvc pipes for hiding places. my experience with ich is do not panic and just do nothing. i wanted to treat ich and dropped salinity in DT, big mistake. i could not finish 2 weeks of treatment. i increased salinity and ich came back.
    now 3 month after that my hypotang is cured and no sign of ich on other fish. i donno if the disease is still present in the tank but the fish is coping with it or is is long gone.

11. fhabercrombie

Thanks, I watched your video tonight, your black tang is awesome!

12. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

just a clarification, i said do nothing that is if your fish is eating well. if not i donno what you can do but surely its not eating cause it is stressed and moving to qt and hypo is gonna stress more.