Ich medication best????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jakanala01, Dec 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Not even after water changes? Or electro treatment that "burn off" the residue?

2. Click Here!

3. BananaBoat

BananaBoat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The white dots of Ich are just small cysts. The real problem is the ich that's inside the fish. Most of your Ich Parasites should be in the substrate or in the rock, so a water change won't do much. I've never done this, but if you could use copper base meds in the main tank, you should be able to in a quarantine tank. You could possibly put the infected fish in the quarantine and use the copper meds in that, then put the fish back into the main tank when cured. and if that does work, you should soak it's food in vitamins to strengthen it's immune system.

4. alpha_03

well I have seen clorine treament and 120volt elctro treatment- but ususlly that kills everything.

5. BananaBoat

Not chlorine, that's the worst thing possible. And electricity will kill everything... If you catch it early(which is nearly impossible to do), you could try the "freshwater dip" which is putting your fish in freshwater for about 4 minutes max. This kills the outside ich, but not so much the inside. If you see the grain sized white dots on the fins and body, it means that the Ich has entered the body.

6. alpha_03

sorry perhaps you misunderstood me- after everything is out of the tank.

7. BananaBoat

For the chlorine, it's still incredibly dangerous. It'll stay in the water, substrate, rock, etc. If you have everything out and try the electro treatment, I'd suggest you have a grounding wire. And even so, I wouldn't put anything back in the tank soon after. Hope this helps.