ich....LETS GET THE FACTS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mufassathelion, Mar 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

One of the main problems in this hobby is if you ask 10 people the same question you get 10 different answers. You don't know whats correct and whats not correct. Everybody has had their own experience with ich. When my tank was new I had ich and ttransfered all fish to too small of a tank and medicated and they all died. Now 2 years later I have never had ich and I have only qt 2 fish. I have had a few fish die on my but luckily no ich. If it was me I would just keep water quality high and if they are not eating great then buy some live brine. Soak food in selcon, garlic. I have never heard of inverts carrying ich. My tank was fish free for 2 months after that one ich episode and when I bought new fish my inverts that I had never gave my new fish ich. You say you had a lionfish and a clownfish I believe well that could have caused stress to the clown. Choosing compatible fish and not overstocking is the most important thing in this hobby. Good Luck
    Adam

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

well i sed i would keep everyone posted....so today i did what i think is the right thing. one i picked up a cleaner wrasse. and 2 i picked up some reef safe medication... now i will not say brand or name here until i can actually say something about it...but i will say i will try this method.... im going to keep salinity close to 1.020 2nd. im goin to keep my heat roughly 82-86 basically the farthest corner should read 82. and i will continue this medication as follows... I will continue to soak the frozen brine into garlic and well i will try using fresh brine in garlic as well. so in conclusion of todays even it is day one all over again...we will see what prevails
    2nd dairy problem i had noticed today (keeping close eye on my tank) i had noticed that my lionfish tail fin is as i think they call fin rot..........any suggestions...
    p.s .. the medication on the bottle sez it treats diseases caused by ICH,FUNGUS,PROTOZOANS, AND DINOFLAGELLATES.........MUFASSA

4. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

there is a difference between the type of ich freshwater and saltwater fish get. that is why fresh water dips kill off ich on salt water fish. it is also the reason that a low level of salt is healthy in fw tanks as freshwater ich cannot survive in salt water

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
  5. mufassathelion

Day 2 of ick meds and my treatment.
    I put another dose of meds in this morning, water salinity is still .022 so im adding another gallon water to drop the salinity.. 3 outa 6 fish show signs of ich still.water temp is 78o heater set at 84...78 in farthest corner of the tank... so that concludes day 2.. lion fish still not eating mopin in the corner.. although the cleaner wrasse, is making friends with the damsel, hasn't met the clown or lion yet...on a good note my anemone took a nice healthy pooo.....and Nemo is more active today...remember this medication claims to be fully reef and live rock safe....we will see.................Mufassa

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You cannot look at spots on a fish and determine if a medicine is working or not. The ich will leave when it's the end of their cycle. Medicines can only kill ich in their trophont stage. Even the literature for the product I highly suspect you're using states that. Kordon - Articles - White Spot Disease

You've already been given a lot of good advice in this thread. I recommend reading people's advice.

7. mufassathelion

actually i have been reading and taking the advice..this problem has been for more then 3 days i have been battling ich for about 2 weeks.... i have tried several ideas and recomendations... it was this theroy that i came to the conclusion to do what i am.. but thanks .....

8. Click Here!

9. mufassathelion

day 4... well sadly to say i lost the battle of ich... my clown disappeard yesterday and today when i awoke the lion fish well... has passed on:(... the 3 damsels that are left seem to appear acting normal.laying in the rock n what not..eating good too...the corals appear to b doin good and so does the anemone....even though im at day 4 and i lost the fish i will continue my treatment..........I will take this as a learning experience. and hope that those who have been following this thread can learn from my mistakes... many had sed i was rushing things....that i did.. tank is 7 weeks up n running... at the end of treatment i will do the water change and wait patiently before i get to far ahead of myself again.... THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE HELPED... IT WAS APPRECIATED AND ALL ADVICE WAS TAKIN TO HEART. i am continue'n the garlic food mix and well..good luck to all....mufassa

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm terribly sorry for your losses.:(

If you think you're the first person who has ever gotten excited about this hobby and rushed, you would be VERY WRONG.

What matters now is what you've learned from your experiences so that when you rebuild, you don't make the same mistake again.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All white specks are not ich ..

And as for what In wall said its a education and none come for free we all have had to pay for it.

Biggest problem I see with real ich is people get all panicky and in a knee jerk start to toss in all the medicines they read about. True Ich is about as deadly to a fish as a few fleas are to a dog.. Ich is the results of a stressed fish and its lowered immune system from the stress . Humans call it a common cold bug.

If the fish are eating I simply raise the temps to make the fish metabolize faster and that also speeds up the life cycle of the pest and then with every up rising the un stressed fish will maintain a healthy slime coat to protect its self better against attacks in the future But I have yet to see a tank to never experience an outbreak of the pest.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

7 weeks you said the tank has been up?