ich....LETS GET THE FACTS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mufassathelion, Mar 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

Well I for one have been battling Ich for a 2 months now. I have spent a good portion of my life reading on the internet and speaking with people who have been around in the salt water industry for a long time.

There is not 1 way to kill or fight ich, there are many ways to kill/fight ich. I have tried almost everyway to kill/fight ich in a reef tank.

Lowering the SP WILL get rid of SW ich, if you drop your SG to 1.018 or lower they simply can not re-produce.(this means make babies :p)

If you want my honest opinion on ich. It is like herpies, once you get it, you always have it. If you stress a fish in anyway and you have ich in your tank it will show up.

Keeping your water healthy and avoiding temp swings while you acclimate your fish is the easist way of keeping ich out of your tank.

If you can not seem to get rid of it. I would only advise a product called "The Fish Keeper" They have a Marine/Reef Formula that from my experience it by far the best stuff out there. Look it up and try it if you really cant not seem to get it out of a tank.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I will add this.
    I have had SW ich or VElvet with not so good water quality and Ich with good water quality.

With the bad water quality, no luck saving the life long term
    With good water quality, just fed Garlic, Vit C , ect and went away.

I guess good water quality and Health goes a long way/.

Cheers

4. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

well i lost a clown last nite i have been battling ich for about a week. i have a 75 g tall tank. i have raised temp to around 82, am gradually dropping salinity down. soaking the food in garlic.. i talked with my lfs and he sed to do a saltwater dip... tried that water quality, i did a 7 gallon water change yesterday, took a bowl of water to my local lfs had it tested o amonia 8.2 ph 0 nitrates 0 nitrites.. after the dip i think one got "pop-eye" so now what do i do... i will b changing out another 2 gallons or so tomarrow tryin to drop salinity even more.. right now its at 1.024 on the high end yes i know...

5. Beamerhack

I honestly dont raise temp. The only thing is it doing is making them grow faster and die faster, if you have conditions where they are not going to die then raising the temp will do nothing. As a matter of fact you might excel the process if the fishes immune system is not up to par. You are just giving them a better place to breed.

Just food for thought.

6. mufassathelion

what would happen if i dropped the temp to 72

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Honestly, all these changes will make matters worse. Good water and health is the only solution.

If you have one victim and can get it out to a QT tank, that would be better than stressing everyone else out.

I never had luck with all the voodoo stuff.

Good luck

8. Click Here!

9. Beamerhack

Slow down thier life cycle.

I keep my water at 76-77 degrees and have sucessfully killed the ich in my tank with doing two things,

Feeding Garlic enhanced food Called "Spectrum Thera +A" made by New Life. Also used The above product I mentioned "The Fish Keeper" which is completely medication free and you can even run it with your skimmer.

Agian all these products are intended to boost thier immune system and garlic is a natural anti-parasitic. Its the same reason people feed thier dogs garlic to prevent flees.

10. mufassathelion

i have tried most suggestions on here and to be totally honest... IM HAVING NO LUCK WITH ANY OF THEM. my salinity was high but the lfs tested my water for all peramiters and sed i was perfect.. like i stated no amonia,nitrites,nitrates, ph was good and even did a water change... i did spend 2 hours maybe 3 last night arranging my tank...now its a matter of time... soaking thier food in garlic doesn't seem to help.. they're not as interested in the food that has the garlic.. the one that concerns me is well. the lionfish a.k.a mufassa. he's the one i care most about.. damsels i got just to help cycle the tank an well if they go they go.... the clown i like thats the wifes fish.water seems to b good... just a curious thing to ask about the temp.. If u raise it higher and can cause the ichitty ich ich ich to reproduce, in theroy decreasing the temp wouldn't allow that right? i will keep posting daily on my progress with this battle...

11. Beamerhack

12. mufassathelion

i will try and find some at a local lfs thanks